4 replies to this topic

#1 Brewer Pete

Brewer Pete

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:21 PM

What makes a mead clear naturally. Is it the ABV of the yeast being reached only or is itthe depletion of fermentables in the must? In other words if your SG gives you a potential ABV of 8% and you pitch on a yeast with an ABV of 14% will the mead clear naturally on its own at 8% ABV or will manual clearing additives be required to clear it?

#2 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:45 AM

...it will all naturally clear if you give it enough time to do so.

Yep. It has nothing to do with ABV as far as I know. It can vary by the type of yeast used, some yeasts clump together and fall out of solution better than others.

#3 BeesNBrews

BeesNBrews

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationNorth Central Ohio

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:52 PM

My meads are always the most difficult to clear. A blueberry wine will clear fine, but make it a melomel and it just stays hazy. They all eventually clear over time. I used to bottle them and live with a bit of sediment, but the older I get and the better stocked my cellar, the more I am able to let it bulk age for a year or more and bottle a perfectly clear mead.

#4 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:12 AM

What makes a mead clear naturally. Is it the ABV of the yeast being reached only or is itthe depletion of fermentables in the must? In other words if your SG gives you a potential ABV of 8% and you pitch on a yeast with an ABV of 14% will the mead clear naturally on its own at 8% ABV or will manual clearing additives be required to clear it?

It will follow Stoke's lawhttps://en.wikipedia...iki/Stokes'_lawBrewBasser

#5 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:01 AM

It will follow Stoke's lawhttps://en.wikipedia...iki/Stokes'_lawBrewBasser

Nerd.:blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic