• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 UGALawDawg

UGALawDawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:55 PM

I'm getting ready to keg my first beer in over a year. My kegs have been in the shed and they are very dirty. So here are my questions. I'm thinking about soaking all of the parts in a strong bleach solution, is there any problem with that? I'm thinking that there shouldn't be since Stainless is non-reactive, but I wasn't sure if it would have any effect on the o rings. Also, are the little plunger things inside the posts different for the "IN" and "OUT" posts or can I mix them?Is there any simple way to clean the inside of the dip tube using typical household items or am I going to need special equipment?

#2 CoastieSteve

CoastieSteve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:17 PM

Just soak in warm Oxiclean water or PBW. Bleach is completely unnecessary and could cause probs if you don't completely get rid of all residue.The internals for the posts are interchangeable. As far as the dip tube- the Oxiclean will get it too. For added measure, they make brushes that fit the insides.

#3 Flashman

Flashman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:26 PM

The in and out poppet valves are the same but the posts are different, so make sure you make a note of the in and out on those. I would completely disasemble the kegs, throw all the parts in the keg and soak it in oxyclean or pbw to clean. Personally, I haven't run into anything that oxyclean and hot water wouldn't take care of with time, so that should clean the diptube. You could also use a brush to clean the inside if you have one.

#4 cbbrown40

cbbrown40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHelendale, Ca

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:26 PM

+1 on Oxiclean. I have read bleach can pit the stainless steel

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

I just cleaned out two empty kegs of mine tonight and I use Oxyclean. I think the stuff works great. Get some and you won't be diappointed.

#6 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48005 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:07 PM

Bleach CAN pit stainless at the junction between liquid and air. If you MUST do the bleach soak, make sure they are completely submerged and aren't trapping any air bubbles. There's really no need for bleach, though. There's next to nothing organic that strong Oxiclean won't get rid of.

#7 UGALawDawg

UGALawDawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:23 PM

OK great, Oxyclean it is. Thanks guys. How much for a keg, and how long to soak?

#8 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48005 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

OK great, Oxyclean it is. Thanks guys. How much for a keg, and how long to soak?

If it's REALLY dirty, you can use 4 tablespoons and your hottest tapwater. I use two for most general cleaning after a keg blows. Soaking overnight will make sure, though it will probably be clean in 4 hours or so.

#9 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:59 PM

What is better, Oxy or PBW? I've been using PBW and it seems to work pretty good. Could be better but still good. Does Oxy do a better job?

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:52 AM

I can't vouch for PBW. I have never used it and my LHBS doesn't carry it. As to the cost I bought a 6lb tub of Oxy at Target for $9.99 and from looking online that looks to be much cheaper than PBW. I use it to clean my kegs and I just cleaned my carboy for brewing with it this morning.

#11 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29316 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:52 AM

What is better, Oxy or PBW? I've been using PBW and it seems to work pretty good. Could be better but still good. Does Oxy do a better job?

pbw does a better job cleaning but is more expensive. IMO caustic is the best value for cleaning power. I use oxy and caustic but I only break out the caustic for really dirty stuff. I also use bar keepers friend.

#12 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:53 AM

There are several different types of corny kegs, so take each one apart and keep the parts with it. I fill the corny with hot PBW and hang the parts in the keg in a hop bag.

#13 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:50 AM

I know that PBW and Bar Keepers Friend have properties in them that passivate stainless steel. Does Oxyclean have these properties?

#14 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:38 AM

PBW doesn't. You need acid. Bar Keeper's Friend and other stainless steel cleaners have oxalic acid. Or just let it air dry for a while.

#15 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11689 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:48 AM

Bleach CAN pit stainless at the junction between liquid and air. If you MUST do the bleach soak, make sure they are completely submerged and aren't trapping any air bubbles. There's really no need for bleach, though. There's next to nothing organic that strong Oxiclean won't get rid of.

If I remember my corrosion course well enough, the air isn't necessary to pit stainless; you get local concentration gradients in the pit (or scratch, or under some paint, or in a weld, etc) which provides the necessary conditions for the attack to take place.

#16 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:41 PM

I'm a firm believer in using caustic soda (lye).Others here are leary of this chemical, as it can burn you badly if missused.If your careful, nothing, and I mean NOTHING cleans stainless from beer related soil better.BrewBasser

#17 Zulu

Zulu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGreensboro, NC

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:12 PM

Oxyclean for day to day cleaning, PBW for tough uns.... hot water works better for both.You can make a type of your own PBW ...... using OXYclean and adding TSP from the paint section at Lowes or Home depotOxyclean also removes labels from bottles

#18 andy77

andy77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:41 AM

My method.20 minutes of recirculation with hot PBW cleans it very well. I've never done 1 year old shed dwelling kegs before, though. Posted Image

#19 HerrHiller

HerrHiller

Comptroller of HerrHiller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2936 posts
  • Locationcanton,ohio

Posted 19 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

Lonnie mac showed us in my opinion the best way to clean kegs,.. its what I do.. expect I use PBW instead. i pressurize it with the hose, and leave it pressurized for about 2 hours only. then then I fill it with starsan water, pressurize it.. and leave as is until im ready to put beer in them. When im ready to put beer in them, I take the liquid line that im gonna use slap it on the outpost.. pop 20PSI co2 on the in post, and spray it into a bucket. then i use that bucket that i just sprayed the starsan water in, to sanatize my siphon hose and racking cane.. and keg kid.. and then boom works great for me. video of lonnie's method

#20 LoveThemBrowns

LoveThemBrowns

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:15 PM

I think I read somewhere that the oxyclean to use was oxyclean Free. that right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users