#1 Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFt Collins

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:24 PM

I used the Hellabock for two lagers last fall, a cream ale and a helles bock. A friend took some of the yeast I propped and made a Munich helles. All three turned out very drinkable, though the bock was a bit less attenuated than I'd hoped. (It was a one-off, so I'm happy to chalk it up to recipe/process issues.)I want to do a couple of lagers, and this is the only yeast I have on hand, so I'll prop it up this next week. I do recall a big sulfur in the primary. Anyone else use this? Tips on getting it to attenuate?Think I'll just mash low, and only give it about 6 days at 52° (instead of 10 at 50°) before slowly coming up for d-rest. Then leave it at 68° or so to drop. I'll just make a Helles so as not to be too invested if it comes out estery.

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:03 PM

I have not used the yeast that you are talking about but I am familiar with it. The only other suggestion I would give it to make sure you pitch the correct volume of yeast for your beer. I think mashing as you describe will help you as well. I think it will ferment out better too since this is not the first time you are using the yeast, good luck.

#3 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 18 April 2009 - 08:57 AM

I split a lot of lagers between WLP830 and 833. It looks like 833 and 2487 are both from Ayinger. The 833 is less attenuative than 830. For crisper lagers I use the 830.If you are judging the NHC in Longmont next week I can bring some Vienna samples of both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users