#1 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:18 AM

I have a tendency when formulating recipes to take an idea, run with it and then change everything around when I'm about to brew. This is how my Charcoal Steam came to be. I was going to make a follow up to the Anchor Steam clone I made that came out really well and I wanted to pitch on the yeast cakes I had of Wyeast 2112 and S-23 (won't use that again I think).All was set for the brew day until I started to tinker. What if I throw in some oats? How about chocolate malt and light roasted barley? Why not! I decided to reserve the chocolate and roasted barley to cap the sparge with and that decision has proven to be wise. I'm not sure how I'd characterize this brew now. It's not a California Common, it's not a Porter or a Stout, but it is a lovely mix of the above and some other stuff thrown in to boot (see hop selection). I brewed this on 2/22 and just recently tapped the first keg and it's a winner! A lovely, light roasted flavor with just enough hop bitterness to complement a medium body and a certain complexity shining through from the yeast.Take all that for whatever it's worth.... here's my recipe.Recipe: EAD Charcoal SteamBrewer: EricAsst Brewer: Style: California Common Beer?TYPE: All GrainRecipe Specifications--------------------------Batch Size: 10.00 gal Boil Size: 12.27 galEstimated OG: 1.045 SGEstimated Color: 33.8 SRMEstimated IBU: 36.8 IBUBrewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %Boil Time: 60 MinutesIngredients:------------Amount Item Type % or IBU 15 lbs 13.6 ozPale Malt (2 Row) (FH Jan-09) (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.94 % 2 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.71 % 1 lbs 12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (FH Nov-08) (350.0 SRM) Grain 8.50 % 1 lbs Light Roasted Barley (FH Nov-08) (300.0 SRGrain 4.85 % 1.00 oz Nugget (Freshops June-08) [11.90 %] (60 mHops 20.4 IBU 1.00 oz Nugget (Freshops June-08) [11.50 %] (20 mHops 11.9 IBU 2.00 oz Cascade (Freshops Sep08) [6.60 %] (5 min)Hops 4.5 IBU 1 Pkgs California Lager Slurry (Wyeast Labs #2112Yeast-Lager 1 Pkgs SafLager West European Lager Slurry (DCL YYeast-Lager Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash OutTotal Grain Weight: 20.60 lb----------------------------Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash OutStep Time Name Description Step Temp 90 min Mash In Add 30.90 qt of water at 167.1 F 154.0 F Notes:------Set aside chocolate and roasted barley for use in the sparge.

#2 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:26 PM

Looks and sounds interesting. Can you compare it flavor/aroma-wise to an oatmeal stout? Using the steam yeast for a dark brew like this is a good idea, and something I might be keen on trying down the road. Thanks for sharing this.

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:29 PM

When you said "I decided to reserve the chocolate and roasted barley to cap the sparge with and that decision has proven to be wise" what does 'cap the sparge' mean? Does that mean that you didn't mash those grains with the rest of the grain bill or something?

#4 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:02 PM

that means they are added post mash/pre-sparge. The flavour addition is much less pronounced but the colour comes through so you can add a lot of colour (or a little as the case may be) without adding a ton of roast character to a finished brew. Kinda fun. I've done this in red ales that I have done, toss it in to darken to a deep red colour but without getting the roast character or colour of a porter.

#5 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:54 AM

Looks and sounds interesting. Can you compare it flavor/aroma-wise to an oatmeal stout? Using the steam yeast for a dark brew like this is a good idea, and something I might be keen on trying down the road. Thanks for sharing this.

I'd say it was thinner than your typical oatmeal stout, but with some of the mouthfeel characteristics that oats contribute.

#6 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:55 AM

When you said "I decided to reserve the chocolate and roasted barley to cap the sparge with and that decision has proven to be wise" what does 'cap the sparge' mean? Does that mean that you didn't mash those grains with the rest of the grain bill or something?

Correct, they were not in the main mash. After I drained the mash, I added the choco and roast, added sparge water, stirred and drained.I was actually surprised as to how much of the roast flavor did come through. It wasn't what I was shooting for, but now I'm really glad it did. Delicious.

Edited by MyBeerPants, 20 April 2009 - 08:56 AM.

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

Just tapped the second keg of a Steam Porter. I've made this a few times and sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. Tastes great tonight. Basically a porter recipe with steam yeast. Not capped like you did. Seems like a nice choice when you don't want to abandon the yeast after brewing a CC. I think we tapped the first keg too early, this one has really rounded out well.

#8 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:04 AM

Just tapped the second keg of a Steam Porter. I've made this a few times and sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. Tastes great tonight. Basically a porter recipe with steam yeast. Not capped like you did. Seems like a nice choice when you don't want to abandon the yeast after brewing a CC. I think we tapped the first keg too early, this one has really rounded out well.

I think this one definitely benefited from a bit of time. Brewed one 2/22 and am about half way through the first of two kegs and it's silky smooth with just a touch of roastiness.

#9 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25379 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:39 AM

I got a bomber of this beer in the last beer pass and it was in fact delicious. I didn't detect any oat character, or if I did I don't remember it. Great beer though. :cheers:

#10 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:59 AM

I got a bomber of this beer in the last beer pass and it was in fact delicious. I didn't detect any oat character, or if I did I don't remember it. Great beer though. :cheers:

I'm glad you liked it! I still have the second keg in the basement waiting to be put on tap... maybe this weekend...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users