5 replies to this topic

#1 Rustybrew

Rustybrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:39 AM

I started a cider in November. It cleared and I racked it into a keg in February and carbonated it. I left it alone at room temperature until now. When I pulled some out and tried a taste, it had a very strong sulfur odor. I understand that I probably want to rack this over back into a carboy to maybe get some gas to escape. I read that if I didn't do something the smell probably won't go away on its own and may change into something worse. My question is do I want to gently rack this, or rack with splashing? Is there anything I need to add to help protect the cider from oxidation? I saw a recommendation that stirring with copper may help. Does anyone have any suggestions that could help?

#2 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:46 AM

Hmmm..... 5 months old?I wouldn't mess with it at all, actually. It's pretty common for cider to have some sulfur to it. It almost always goes away with aging. Give it another 3 months.

#3 Rustybrew

Rustybrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationFort Worth, TX

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:59 AM

Should I take the pressure off the keg?

#4 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:04 AM

Hmmmmmm...... I don't know the mechanism by with the sulfur taste goes away, if it's outgassing or some chemical change. My gut feeling is to take the pressure off, and maybe even rack it into something with an airlock, but I don't really know for sure.

#5 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:10 AM

Scary! How did the sulfur get there? Is it natural from the fermentation? It may blend in over time. If you added it as a stabilizer or sanitizer, then you might be in trouble. Give it a year and if it is still there, you have to decide what to do. I don't think pressure or no pressure will make a difference!If after a year you still have the problem, there is only one way to get rid of sulfur. First plan a big party a month from now. You will need to drink the whole keg at once when this is over. Second, get a carbonating stone and an aquarium pump. Put the stone in the opened keg and start pumping room air into the beverage. Every day, smell the aroma coming from the keg. If it still smells like sulfur, keep pumping. It may take up to a month to get all the sulfur out. As soon as it stops giving off a smell. turn the pump off, pressurize the keg and drink as soon as possible.You may think this is crazy! I had a 5 year old mead (30 gallon batch) with a sulfur problem that just would not go away. Did this, and one bottle took first place in a contest! But, it did not stay good. It went down hill very fast. We drank a lot of mead that month.

#6 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:50 AM

Is it natural from the fermentation?

Yes. I'm not sure exactly why, but many cider fermentations go through a sulfury phase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users