#1 cbbrown40

cbbrown40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHelendale, Ca

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:29 AM

My wife just got one of these Jack La Lannes juicers anyone ever use one to make cider instead of the press?The thing seems to work pretty good

#2 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:24 AM

My wife just got one of these Jack La Lannes juicers anyone ever use one to make cider instead of the press?The thing seems to work pretty good

Aside from the time invested I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. I have seen the garbage disposal version in action and it sure shreds an apple. The only drawback I can see is the time it would take to get a reasonable amount of juice.

#3 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:32 AM

One of the members of our local home brew club makes all of his ciders and perry's with a juicer and has won quite a few awards. So I would definitely say it is possible.I however choose to go with the garbage disposal route.

#4 Poobah58

Poobah58

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationNew Milford, CT

Posted 04 May 2009 - 05:46 PM

That is so cool!

#5 AAASTINKIE

AAASTINKIE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:20 AM

I use a juicer to make apple wine, but I core them and remove the seeds first, the seeds have arsenic or something in them and the juicer brings it out if I am correct. Throw some vitamin "C" or lemon juice in the juice to help keep it from turning brown while you're juicing, takes a while to juice 6 gallons of apples.

#6 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25629 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:43 PM

I however choose to go with the garbage disposal route.

Two reactions:Brilliant, what a great idea!Is a garbage disposal "food safe"? I have never taken one apart. Are they free of machine oil and are the materials down in there safe for food contact? Seems to me, in the normal operation of a garbage disposal, there is no intrinsic need for the chopping parts to be food safe.Just curious if you have any information about the construction and materials used in these things.zymot

#7 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 09 June 2009 - 05:46 AM

I never really thought about food safety issues with garbage disposals, but I do know they are a fairly common way for amateurs to grind apples. I've got an old one in the basement for just this purpose. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users