#1 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:29 PM

So I got a pack of saflager 34/70 I dont know why i only picked up one but I am trying to bypass doing a starter...I made an online order today and they didn't have the 34/70 at this place so i got a pack of Wyeast 2206 (supposedly the same) any downfalls to this?

#2 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:01 PM

Sounds good to me. The only real issue I foresee is if you plan on reusing the yeast cake after this beer. If you plan on doing that, expect the balance of the flavors from the yeast to change as you repitch the yeast.Are you making a 10 gallon batch, and that is why the single sachet won't be good enough?

#3 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8900 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:06 PM

If it's a 5 gallon normal-gravity beer, I'd go with the single pack of dry.If it's 10 gallons or a big beer, I'd grow the starter from the 2206 and save the dry for another batch.Mixing them won't do anything bad, but is kind of pointless IMO.

#4 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:06 PM

Sounds good to me. The only real issue I foresee is if you plan on reusing the yeast cake after this beer. If you plan on doing that, expect the balance of the flavors from the yeast to change as you repitch the yeast.Are you making a 10 gallon batch, and that is why the single sachet won't be good enough?

its a lager so need a good amount of yeast....Mr Malty says I need 344 billion cells...one dry sachet is about 200 i think and a liquid pouch is about 100 so it gets me really close.

#5 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:27 PM

I'm not looking to make a 3 liter starter...

#6 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:46 PM

its a lager so need a good amount of yeast....Mr Malty says I need 344 billion cells...one dry sachet is about 200 i think and a liquid pouch is about 100 so it gets me really close.

Only off by roughly 44 Billion. You're hiring someone to do your taxes right? :cheers:Seriously now. I agree you should be good. I've been overpitching my lagers lately to try and speed up the time from fermenter to kegerator but I haven't noticed the overpitch making a difference in the flavor.

#7 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:15 PM

yea i mean I figured I was in the ballpark....I am planning to reuse the slurry though I guess I will find out if mixing a dry and a liquid has issues when it is reused...I mean it is said to be the same weinstphan(sp) strain so yea...Sometimes its just easier to be lazy and spend a little more money...i mean I could drive the 15 miles and get another satchet of 34/70 but i figured hey i am being lazy anyways might as well at some wyeast onto the online order and have it trucked to my door.

#8 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:20 PM

If they are exactly the same, it will be fine. If they are slightly different, their rates of replication, profile of fermentation, etc. can be different. In those cases, the yeast profile that you get for the first beer can be different than for the following beers, as the percent of each strain can change from one repitch to the next. If that is significant enough for you is up to you though if you want to repitch.

#9 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:31 PM

haha oh man,idiot that I am i ordered Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager instead of 2124 Bohemian Lager which is the Weihenstephan 34/70 strain that should be the same as saflager 34/70...if they can't change it guess i will be making a starter after all DOH!

#10 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

A blend could still be interesting. How particular are you about staying within style?

#11 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

A blend could still be interesting. How particular are you about staying within style?

well...its my first lager....so probably want to stay in style...even though both those yeasts work for the Vienna style..

#12 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48010 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

haha oh man,idiot that I am i ordered Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager instead of 2124 Bohemian Lager which is the Weihenstephan 34/70 strain that should be the same as saflager 34/70...if they can't change it guess i will be making a starter after all DOH!

LOL. I was all set to post that 2206 was NOT the same as 34/70 and you steal my thunder. :cheers:If it were me, I'd rehydrate and pitch the dry alone. Mr Malty is an ideal that isn't always necessary for success. People make successful lagers by just pitching the smackpacks, and you'll be 2.5 times that much with the sachet.

#13 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:56 PM

well...its my first lager....so probably want to stay in style...even though both those yeasts work for the Vienna style..

The only way to know is to try. I say go for the blend. I'd rather blend than underpitch that much. Both are good yeasts, why wouldn't they be good together? Just sayin'.

#14 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:12 PM

LOL. I was all set to post that 2206 was NOT the same as 34/70 and you steal my thunder. :cheers:If it were me, I'd rehydrate and pitch the dry alone. Mr Malty is an ideal that isn't always necessary for success. People make successful lagers by just pitching the smackpacks, and you'll be 2.5 times that much with the sachet.

yea...from what i read about the saflager though is that it is a slow slow slow starter unless you pitch 2 packs.

#15 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:15 PM

yea...from what i read about the saflager though is that it is a slow slow slow starter unless you pitch 2 packs.

This. I've only ever pitched 2, but I've always heard the same.

#16 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:28 PM

Well Ed from Brewmasters Warehouse got back to me and said he didnt pack it yet and can switch up the order...so I'll be pitching the saflager 34/70 and the 2124...Plug for https://www.brewmast...rehouse.com/Got my supplies for the last 6 batches or so from them, have always gotten great service I think for every ordered i have had to email him about soemthing and he always gets back to me within an hour. Always get everything I order and very quickly shipped. Yea I got a LHBS within a few miles but found out he was not really the most trust worthy person so I have been going with Ed...well worth it, cheap grain, good prices on everything else, and flat rate shipping.

#17 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10744 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:13 PM

I would think the only real problem in mixing yeasts is that if you create a great beer it may be hard to replicate. Each fermentation would likely differ based on which yeast took off first.

#18 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:26 PM

I would think the only real problem in mixing yeasts is that if you create a great beer it may be hard to replicate. Each fermentation would likely differ based on which yeast took off first.

I would agree with this, though brewing a great beer that you can't replicate doesn't sound like it'd be THAT bad of a problem to have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users