#1 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:11 AM

So there is a beer brewed in Ontario in Canada here, not sure if makes it across the border or not but it is called Buzz Beer (yes like the one from the Drew Carrey show but no coffee). Linky. This is one of the best red lagers I've EVER tasted. It is simply delicious and I want to drink it all the time, but it is only served at a single restaurant in town so I rarely get to enjoy it.My question is when/how/in what form would YOU use hemp seeds in order to impart a flavour addition to your homebrew. I would like to clone this beer, but the brewery is not going to help at all. I wrote a respectful letter detailing my enjoyment of their beer and asking for any tips they may be willing to give on how to use the hemp seeds in a homebrew but no dice. Not response even after like 4 emails.So I fall on you, I can get hemp seeds with the husks, de-husked, split, roasted, ground to a powdery paste, etc. How do I clone this brew authentically>???

#2 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:28 AM

I can't help you but I'll have to pick some up and try it.

#3 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:52 AM

definitely do, and let me know what you think. I am always curious what others think of the beers that really grab my attention.

#4 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:53 AM

I have no idea if this is true, its just one of those things you hear along the road of life, but don't hemp seeds make you sterile?

#5 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:14 AM

I have no idea if this is true, its just one of those things you hear along the road of life, but don't hemp seeds make you sterile?

That is no longer a concern of mine. :)

#6 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:17 AM

lol definitely not... I think there was a rumour that if your contraband had seeds in it and you smoked it it may make you sterile - very false but persistent nonetheless.... I dunno where I would've heard that though :)

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:46 AM

I've had several beers with hemp seeds in them and none has ever seemed to have any flavor contribution form the seeds.

#8 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:13 PM

hmm interesting....so the idea would be pure novelty in your opinion denny? I can buy it, there is a bit of nuttiness in the Buzz Beer but I always assumed that was from the malt....

#9 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49870 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:57 PM

I can't imagine that they would have no flavor contribution EVER... Perhaps with a slight toasting. Even so, with the vast history of brewing and hemp usage/mj consumption, if there were a great benefit to using hemp seeds in brewing, it would be common place. Go ahead with it if you want to pursue the project, but think about it from a functional standpoint. Do the seeds contribute any fermentables or dextrines? I have never known the seeds to taste all that great... Like I said, maybe they need a toast. I could personally think of a better way to utilize cannabis in beer.

#10 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:05 PM

I can't imagine that they would have no flavor contribution EVER... Perhaps with a slight toasting. Even so, with the vast history of brewing and hemp usage/mj consumption, if there were a great benefit to using hemp seeds in brewing, it would be common place. Go ahead with it if you want to pursue the project, but think about it from a functional standpoint. Do the seeds contribute any fermentables or dextrines? I have never known the seeds to taste all that great... Like I said, maybe they need a toast. I could personally think of a better way to utilize cannabis in beer.

the seeds taste pretty good to me.... roasted or not.Anyways, to your other point....obviously they aren't this revolutionary secret ingredient like hops, otherwise it would be in standard use for sure. However, the point I am trying to get from this thread is how to CLONE a beer that uses hemp seeds in it. I'm not trying to discover a new improved way of making beer lol I am trying to clone something using an ingredient not usually used.Think of it like if you wanted to clone a white beer, well you need orange peel and coriander - no they aren't widely used beer ingredients that need to be in every batch, but to brew THAT beer you need the spices. You may be able to think of many ways to illegally utilize the hemp plant's cousin lol but that's not what I am trying to do - I think maybe you missed that point from above!

#11 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49870 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 18 April 2009 - 03:15 PM

Sorry I missed that... Well, without having tried the beer, I would wonder what your impression is on what the seeds add the the character of the beer. Like how rye has its own thing going on. From there I would try to disseminate that character from the specialty malts and then the base malt. I think that a slight toast in the oven would bring out the best character of the seeds, but maybe that is not what they did on this one. If they are intent on keeping you in the dark on this beer, this is going to be a lot of trial and error...

#12 Dave

Dave

Grammaraticus of Titty Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32475 posts
  • LocationLugnar Island

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

I clicked your link but I didn't see anything about seeds in the beer...just B.C. hemp.Maybe they're throwing some dried hemp leaves in the mash or something...

#13 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:41 PM

Reminds me of lost coast's great white which is brewed with "special Humbolt county herbs" If i were you I'd do a lightly hopped gallon extract batch and steep the seeds post fermentation like a dry hop. Any flavor beyond the extract you could attribute to the seeds, you know, see if it is just a gimmick or no. then maybe work out how much for a full-size batch. I can't see any result from adding shade leaves into the mash.

#14 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 18 April 2009 - 10:52 PM

yeah I am thinking I will do roasted seeds in secondary...see how it goes - though I might have issues with the oils. First step is to go to said restaurant and drink more beer....yum.

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 03:56 AM

yeah I am thinking I will do roasted seeds in secondary...see how it goes - though I might have issues with the oils. First step is to go to said restaurant and drink more beer....yum.

The rigors of good research :)

#16 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9093 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:11 AM

hmm interesting....so the idea would be pure novelty in your opinion denny? I can buy it, there is a bit of nuttiness in the Buzz Beer but I always assumed that was from the malt....

I'd say in the 3-4 I've tried, it was a gimmick, not a flavor enhancement.

#17 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:48 AM

then perhaps my first mission will be to make a red like buzz, and then play around with hemp seeds after the base is right.

#18 LiverDance

LiverDance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationHalfiax, Nova Scotia

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:04 AM

Earthtone, I think i can save you some trips to the restaurant! You can buy a sixer of this at bishop's cellar for $11, this is souly for research at home though not for personal use :blush: Which restaurant are you freqenting to find this? Let me know when your going next and i'll join you. Cheers,LD

#19 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:25 AM

wow that's great brian. I haven't checked out Bishop's Cellar. Is that where you go to get the Mill St. as well? I should go pick up some brews for our next hang out. That brown ale you had, I think you'll change your mind about brown's after a few bottles of tankhouse :blush:thanks for the info, I'll check it out soon. Premier Wine and Spirits has a pretty poor selection, I was beginning to lose faith in Halifax haha.

#20 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:08 AM

Fredrick Brewing made HempenAle.It tasted like wet cardboard.Some flavor contribution. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users