#41 BFB

BFB

Wind Whisperer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10819 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:29 AM

Sometimes I feel like I'm in the minority when it comes to square manifold in round MT. After trying nearly every falsebottom/screen scenario I went back to JP's mash tun geometry and found that a copper manifold was the most versatile and efficient setup for any type of mash/recirc. method. Not stuck mashes, no channeling, and no soldering.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image You can see I started with a round cooler for a MT but swapped with my sanke HLT, which I now direct fire. The manifold fit perfectly from cooler to sanke. I heat sparge water in my boil kettle during the mash, and pump to the cooler which I gravity feed to the MT for my sparge. The manifold floats over the domed bottom of the sanke so I get great flow during my recirc without channeling. It doesn't seem to matter which direction the pipes run and I never knock it off while doughing in.

What kind of efficiencies are you getting with that in the keg. I've been kicking around trying a manifold in my keg just for the fun of it. Batch sparge or fly sparge?

#42 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8251 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:37 PM

Fly sparge. With my new monster mill I've been hitting low 80's, has me thinking about adjusting recipes. I say go for it. Cheap and easy, just the way I like it :shock:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users