16 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:51 PM

My munich dunkel has been in primary for over 1.5 weeks (2308 yeast). The airlock has been inactive as of late and there doesn't seem to be any significant positive pressure in it. Good time for a d-rest?

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:55 PM

The rule of thumb with the d rest is if you are 2/3 of the way to your final gravity then you can raise the temp for your d rest. I would not trust the airlock, take a gravity reading and see how close you are to your FG and if the rule applies start to warm it up. 60-65 degrees for about 48 hours should be sufficient.

#3 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:05 PM

I am incorporating d-rests on all of my lagers now.(on account of a butter bomb this year). I usually warm them up with about 10 points or less left to go to FG. So basically exactly what NC just said.

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:14 PM

I think it's better to do it when the yeast are still active but perhaps this is a case of better late than never. The yeast may get more active as it warms up.

#5 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:16 PM

Do you even need one? I would taste the beer and take an FG reading.

#6 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:19 PM

I started to say the same thing but then I realized that I always do one whether I need to or not. I think if nothing else it helps scrub the last point or two off the FG.

#7 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:22 PM

All I know is the butter bomb I made this year I skipped the higher temp rest and I DID NOT taste the diecetyl at all in the samples at first. Only when I packaged the beer did it come thru....noticable isn't the word for it...undrinkable pretty much fits.

#8 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:27 PM

All I know is the butter bomb I made this year I skipped the higher temp rest and I DID NOT taste the diecetyl at all in the samples at first. Only when I packaged the beer did it come thru....noticable isn't the word for it...undrinkable pretty much fits.

It could've formed during transfer.

I think if nothing else it helps scrub the last point or two off the FG.

Yeah, good point too. Although if it has been fermenting 1.5 weeks, it could be done at this point.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:37 PM

It could've formed during transfer.Yeah, good point too. Although if it has been fermenting 1.5 weeks, it could be done at this point.

some people do the d-rest after fermentation is done. I'd rather not taking a gravity reading as that means exposing the beer to extra oxygen.this yeast is notorious for throwing the d that I'd like to rest out :frank:

#10 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:20 PM

some people do the d-rest after fermentation is done.

My logic is that if you want the yeast to do something for you, it seems reasonable to try to get them to do it while they're still active.

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:25 AM

My logic is that if you want the yeast to do something for you, it seems reasonable to try to get them to do it while they're still active.

it makes sense but doing this at the right time is the tricky part. is it relatively safe to take a hydro reading?

#12 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:49 AM

it makes sense but doing this at the right time is the tricky part. is it relatively safe to take a hydro reading?

Yes its safe to take hydro readings. Do you have a wine thief? If you have that all you need to do is clean it open the airlock take your sample and close it back up. I do it all the time for several years never had a batch go bad. The thiefs are cheap too.My link

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:12 AM

Yes its safe to take hydro readings. Do you have a wine thief? If you have that all you need to do is clean it open the airlock take your sample and close it back up. I do it all the time for several years never had a batch go bad. The thiefs are cheap too.My link

I have a turkey baster :frank:

#14 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:31 AM

I wonder if you could take a butter bomb and add some high gravity sterile wort made from XLDME and reintroduce fermentation at a higher temp and scrub the stuff out?

#15 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:45 AM

I wonder if you could take a butter bomb and add some high gravity sterile wort made from XLDME and reintroduce fermentation at a higher temp and scrub the stuff out?

This is basically krausening, which is usually a technique for carbonating, but the side effect is a diacetyl consumer.

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:52 PM

gravity is close to final but not quite so I brought the fermenter upstairs - sample didn't taste particularly buttery or anything...

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:52 AM

gravity is close to final but not quite so I brought the fermenter upstairs - sample didn't taste particularly buttery or anything...

saw a couple of bubbles this morning wohoo!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users