#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:01 AM

A guy I work with and I were in a debate as to whether or not you can clean out a kettle you've fried a turkey in as a kettle to boil your wort in. He insistant that you can clean it enough that it would be fine to use. I however, disagree. I would even consider putting my precious wort into a kettle I've used to fry the bird. Thoughts on this debate from the board?

#2 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:17 AM

A guy I work with and I were in a debate as to whether or not you can clean out a kettle you've fried a turkey in as a kettle to boil your wort in. He insistant that you can clean it enough that it would be fine to use. I however, disagree. I would even consider putting my precious wort into a kettle I've used to fry the bird. Thoughts on this debate from the board?

I cleaned up a used turkey fryer, and made many excellent batches of beer in it. It takes a considerable amount of effort to remove all traces of congealed oil from the kettle. A butt load of soaking with PBW and scrubbing will clean it up eventually. Then you need to reestablish a passive layer on the aluminum by baking the kettle in the oven for an hour or two. But in the end, the kettle was great for brewing.

Edited by stellarbrew, 06 January 2010 - 10:18 AM.

#3 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 06 January 2010 - 10:53 AM

I made the mistake last year of loaning my buddy a 10 gal SS pot for him to bring to his in-laws for a family lobster boil. I only use the pot to preheat sparge water, but still do need it to make life easier. When he was done, the smell of lobster shell was infused in the pot. We needed to use it a week later, so it took many soakings in PBW, and then baking soda rubs, but we got it back to normal again for brewday. I think some good PBW soakings will get just about anything off. I just "inherited" 8 sets of SS QDs that came from hydraulic transfer machines. They had hydraulic fluid residue all over them. I boiled them 3 times in PBW with a clean water boil in between, they are now like brand new.

#4 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:59 PM

My first turkey fryer was a craigslist score and I used it for full boils. It was SS so cleanup was pretty easy. Personally I used oxiclean and left it soak overnight a couple times with hot tap water. It didn't have much residue in the first place but after that it was squeaky clean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users