#1 johnpreuss

johnpreuss

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1460 posts
  • LocationWay Up North Minnesota

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:43 AM

There is a nut brown thread on the recipe forum that has me wanting to brew one of my own. A while back I read on one of the boards about toasting quick oats and getting a nutty flavor and silkiness. I can't find the post for the life of me. So have any of you done this before and how?? Also how do you mash quick oats? Do I have to let them soak overnight then add to the mash or just dump them in the tun?

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:56 AM

There is a nut brown thread on the recipe forum that has me wanting to brew one of my own. A while back I read on one of the boards about toasting quick oats and getting a nutty flavor and silkiness. I can't find the post for the life of me. So have any of you done this before and how?? Also how do you mash quick oats? Do I have to let them soak overnight then add to the mash or just dump them in the tun?

I don't know anything about the toasting but I believe you can just toss them in the mash.

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:38 AM

I don't know anything about the toasting but I believe you can just toss them in the mash.

I agree with the mash. It's what I do. As for the toasting... I don't see why you couldn't, but it may take several trays to get your volume. Upshot is that because of the size/weight, each tray in the oven shouldn't take too long. Perhaps you could measure out 1/3 of your volume of oats and toast them to see what happens. I would think that there are properties in the oats that you want that might be destroyed if you toasted all of them.

#4 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

I toasted half of the oats I mashed for the oatmeal stout I amd currently enjoying. I like the subtle nuttiness it provided.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users