36 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:11 AM

One thing I've noticed when it comes to the typical stout recipes around here is that they are either fairly complex (QS stout) or pretty roasty (my experience with a classic dry stout). I really like these beers but I'd like to make something super smooth with a pretty mild roastiness and nice even malty backbone. No hop aroma, just a touch of bitterness. I'm looking for something that one could drink all night and not grow tired of. What would be my best bet for achieving this?

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54165 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:39 AM

Could we be on parallel roads with your extra smooth stout and my Indio Lager? Maybe the answer is the debittered black. I had mentioned this a number of times regarding other beers that have a dark color but don't really have overly-roasted or assertively bitter/coffee-like flavors. I'm not a stout-head, but what is typically used to darken a stout? Roasted barley? Chocolate? What if you subbed that out for debittered black? I placed an order yesterday for some base malt and I'm calling them back today to add a pound of debittered black to my order. Good luck.

#3 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10742 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:04 AM

I imagine using some lactose would soften the beer and give you that cream stout smoothness. I also like the idea of debittered malts.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 08:46 AM

I imagine using some lactose would soften the beer and give you that cream stout smoothness. I also like the idea of debittered malts.

I feel I could probably accomplish the amount of smoothness I would like with flaked oats or flaked barley. Maybe if I just cut back on the roasted barley and chocolate type malts and replaced it with debittered black that would do the trick.

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:05 AM

Either debittered or dehusked roasted malts (e.g., Carafa) make for a smoother roasted flavor. BP tends to be harsh sometimes but Carafa II or III gives you just as much roasted flavor without the sharp flavor that seems to come with BP.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:07 AM

Either debittered or dehusked roasted malts (e.g., Carafa) make for a smoother roasted flavor. BP tends to be harsh sometimes but Carafa II or III gives you just as much roasted flavor without the sharp flavor that seems to come with BP.

Do you mean RB (roasted barley)? edit: just figured out you probably mean black patent

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54165 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:19 AM

Another local brewer here made a nice Munich Lager kind-of-thing and IIRC, he used some Carafa II. The beer was pretty dark and it did have a coffee-like roasted flavor. I think he said he used 4 ounces in a 5-gallon batch. But this beer was still pretty roasty to me. When I taste some of these other dark beers (Indio is one and other beers like Shiner Bock come to mind), there is a very dark color but little-to-no roasty flavor whatsoever. Some other people I've asked about this have suggested that these beers are made with Sinamar as a way to darken the color without making them roasty.

#8 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:22 AM

Another local brewer here made a nice Munich Lager kind-of-thing and IIRC, he used some Carafa II. The beer was pretty dark and it did have a coffee-like roasted flavor. I think he said he used 4 ounces in a 5-gallon batch. But this beer was still pretty roasty to me. When I taste some of these other dark beers (Indio is one and other beers like Shiner Bock come to mind), there is a very dark color but little-to-no roasty flavor whatsoever. Some other people I've asked about this have suggested that these beers are made with Sinamar as a way to darken the color without making them roasty.

I interpreted his question to be "how do I get the roasted flavors required in a stout without some of the harsh bitterness that sometimes comes along with it?" I could be wrong but I don't think he's trying to eliminate the roasty aspect, just trying to tame it some.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 09:40 AM

I interpreted his question to be "how do I get the roasted flavors required in a stout without some of the harsh bitterness that sometimes comes along with it?" I could be wrong but I don't think he's trying to eliminate the roasty aspect, just trying to tame it some.

that is correct. I'm trying to make something that, while still a stout, is a little better suited for the masses.

#10 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:16 PM

The best luck I've had in producing very smooth stouts was arrived at by a long, cold conditioning process. A stout that tastes harsh, astringent, and overly roasty when very fresh, can taste like silky-smooth, black silk after a few months of cold conditioning. I think this is because the tannins fall out over time. I expect that debittered and dehusked dark malts will contribute fewer of these tannins to begin with, and would shorten the conditioning time you would need.

#11 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:54 PM

It sounds like you want a Porter........

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:59 PM

It sounds like you want a Porter........

maybe I do :frank:

#13 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25383 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:07 PM

is there a commercial example that . . . exemplifies . . . the goal you seek? To me, what you are describing is a classic dry stout, like Guinness or Murpheys. Since they are so dark/acidic, water chemistry can throw the flavor off depending on your water.

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:44 AM

is there a commercial example that . . . exemplifies . . . the goal you seek? To me, what you are describing is a classic dry stout, like Guinness or Murpheys. Since they are so dark/acidic, water chemistry can throw the flavor off depending on your water.

I've only had the former of your two examples - I'd say I'd like something like Guinness would be good but with less of that distinctive Guinness sourness and maybe a little more maltiness.

#15 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10742 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:58 AM

I've only had the former of your two examples - I'd say I'd like something like Guinness would be good but with less of that distinctive Guinness sourness and maybe a little more maltiness.

Try a Murphy's then you may find this is what you are looking for. I prefer Murphy's over Guinness

#16 Breakpoint

Breakpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationSW MI

Posted 06 January 2010 - 03:54 PM

actually, this is exactly what guinness tasted like when i was in ireland this summer. only a slight roasted taste, but overwhelmingly smooth. i'm sure part of that taste comes from the nitro tap, but i was going to play with different dark grains over than RB to see if i could get the color without the astringency. i figured less RB than the pound recommended for a 5 gallon batch and maybe debittered black to get the color and flaked barley to get the creaminess. haven't brewed a stout in a while, though, so it's going to take some trial and error.

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:38 PM

actually, this is exactly what guinness tasted like when i was in ireland this summer. only a slight roasted taste, but overwhelmingly smooth. i'm sure part of that taste comes from the nitro tap, but i was going to play with different dark grains over than RB to see if i could get the color without the astringency. i figured less RB than the pound recommended for a 5 gallon batch and maybe debittered black to get the color and flaked barley to get the creaminess. haven't brewed a stout in a while, though, so it's going to take some trial and error.

yes - I was considering just taking the common dry stout recipe and replacing half or more of the RB with debittered black and seeing what happens.

#18 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

I would just go with the classic dry stout recipe. 10% roasted barley (about 500 lovibond), and the rest Maris Otter with some flaked barley thrown in. 1.040-ish gravity with about .85-1 BU:GU ratio. Mash low. The key is getting the water correct with this beer, and fermenting with a clean ale yeast at a low temp. And make sure you don't oversparge as well if you're fly sparging.Should come out pretty damn smooth.

#19 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:39 PM

I would just go with the classic dry stout recipe. 10% roasted barley (about 500 lovibond), and the rest Maris Otter with some flaked barley thrown in. 1.040-ish gravity with about .85-1 BU:GU ratio. Mash low. The key is getting the water correct with this beer, and fermenting with a clean ale yeast at a low temp. And make sure you don't oversparge as well if you're fly sparging. Should come out pretty damn smooth.

I've actually done something like this and I think it could stand to be slightly less astringent.

#20 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 05:52 PM

I've actually done something like this and I think it could stand to be slightly less astringent.

Then I would probably go with what you suggested already. 50/50 RB and DB. That sounds good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users