#21 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:27 AM

Yea, we all know that you always taste your beer and enter it in the corresponding category, but i don't think this is what the OP was talking about and not really the same thing.

Hmmmmm....seems like the same sort of issue to me.

#22 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9175 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:27 AM

I don't see a problem with blending.

#23 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationWest Chester, PA

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:54 AM

I read the article right after I finished reading "Wild Brews" for the first time (Xmas present), and I thought the tone of the letter was rather dismissive of the skill described in the book needed to blend well. If the author thinks that blending to taste is cheating, perhaps he should start a "technical" brewing competition of his own. He could have events like "closest to target S.G", "highest attenuation", and a sanitation relay.

#24 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:17 AM

and a sanitation relay.

LOL

#25 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:32 PM

Just an unfortunate use of the word "doctoring". For many people that word implies cheating. If instead he had said "blending to fine tune" would there have been the same reaction?- Jim

Since I don't have access to the magazine right now, I'm not sure if you mean the original article or the reader's reply. For me, whatever, same thing. My response remains unchanged :frank:

I read the article right after I finished reading "Wild Brews" for the first time (Xmas present), and I thought the tone of the letter was rather dismissive of the skill described in the book needed to blend well. If the author thinks that blending to taste is cheating, perhaps he should start a "technical" brewing competition of his own. He could have events like "closest to target S.G", "highest attenuation", and a sanitation relay.

Seriously! I had the good fortune to meet Armand Debelder of 3 Fonteinen during my time here in Europe. It's tragic what happened to his brewery, but that guy's passion for blending and tasting lambic is palpable. He didn't strike us as the scientific type of fellow, and even talked down about himself when it comes to that, but he has worked at and mastered the art of blending. I'm not about to tell him that his beers cannot be entered a competition, and he doesn't even blend his own beer most of the time (or perhaps ever again). There is one bottle I bought from him which he calls Millennium. I think it has lambics from 5 different breweries in there. If that is ever entered into a competition, I'd love it for someone to dare call him a cheater. Vegetarians would eat that person for lunch.Now, to be clear, when it comes to homebrew competitions, I think only homebrew should be entered. But in the spirit of Armand (not Armand's Spirit which is a liquor he made after the tragedy), I say that any homebrew blended should be allowed. If I take two of my friends homebrews, and blend them to make a new beer that is fantastic, I say let it go. It contains no commercial beer and I made it.

#26 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:13 PM

I think that competition rules usually state that the beer must be homebrewed by the contestant, and that all persons who assited with the brewing must be listed on the entry. Thus, if you blend two beers homebrewed by two other brewers, and enter it, then you must list all three brewers to stay within the rules. Also, I think that competition rules usually state that the beer may not be brewed with commercial/professional equipment. Thus, if you blend your beer with commercial beer, then you will be breaking the rules.Enforceability is a seperate issue entirely. There are a number of ways to cheat and get away with it if that is your goal.If you feel like an unfair advantage may be gained in a competion by blending, then you can establish your own competion, and write the rules to prohibit it. Then if someone entered a blended beer into your competition, he would be cheating.

#27 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:30 PM

Seriously! I had the good fortune to meet Armand Debelder of 3 Fonteinen during my time here in Europe. It's tragic what happened to his brewery, but that guy's passion for blending and tasting lambic is palpable. He didn't strike us as the scientific type of fellow, and even talked down about himself when it comes to that, but he has worked at and mastered the art of blending. I'm not about to tell him that his beers cannot be entered a competition, and he doesn't even blend his own beer most of the time (or perhaps ever again). There is one bottle I bought from him which he calls Millennium. I think it has lambics from 5 different breweries in there. If that is ever entered into a competition, I'd love it for someone to dare call him a cheater. Vegetarians would eat that person for lunch.

I believe that Belgium is unique in that there are people that do nothing but blend beer. Armand is one such person and he is evidently extremely good at it. Since there are so many variables in lambic production, the only way to attain any sort of consistency year to year is to blend. This is common in the wine world (non-vintage champagne for example) but pretty unusual in the beer world as far as I know.

#28 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:22 PM

My copy of Zymurgy just showed up. While reading the letter I remembered the article that got the letter writer bent out of shape. I thought to myself why bother - I'll probably screw it up more. The few times I've blended have been with whatever else was in the sanitary sewer at the time........dump cityI respect the opinion, but don't agree with it.

#29 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 January 2010 - 06:32 PM

I don't see a problem with blending.

Agreed,never done it myself.Only fear i have is two off flavored beers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users