#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:42 PM

My dad asked that I brew 10 gallons of MLPA for a charity golf tournament in May. He thinks I could write it off on my taxes as a donation. He wants to charge for it (all donated). I told him he was going to have to get creative in how it was billed because I think its illegal, right? And I don't think I could legally call it a donation on my taxes either, I really don't want to test the waters with that one and get audited. I think I will tell him that I will donate it for a spot for me in the tournament, I think that's fair (Usually around $70-$80 entry).Anyway, I'm gonna have to hit the ground running with my new equipment if I'm gonna have all the kinks worked out by brew day for that tournament. That means I'm gonna have a lot of "practice" beer on hand. I hope my friends like helping me drink it all!Anyone else ever done this? :cheers: -Rich

#2 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10746 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:01 PM

Around here retail price on a 1/2 barrel is about $125 so your 10 gallons at $70-80 is in line with that. And if you do claim this on your taxes your expected benefit would be what, about $30. I'd save yourself a lot of hassle and just donate the beer and not try to claim taxes.

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:15 PM

Around here retail price on a 1/2 barrel is about $125 so your 10 gallons at $70-80 is in line with that. And if you do claim this on your taxes your expected benefit would be what, about $30. I'd save yourself a lot of hassle and just donate the beer and not try to claim taxes.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. Because of the economy these tournaments haven't been filling up, so I don't think I would be taking anything away from it since I would buy mulligans and strings anyway. Plus they will probably sell the beer either as part of a package, or for $2.50 a glass, which would be $250 towards the charity if they kill the kegs. The only thing that worries me is the quality of the beer. I can make MLPA as an extract that you couldn't tell if it was an extract or AG, but like I said, I will have to practice to get a damn good AG batch.Cheers,Rich

#4 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

I don't even play a lawyer on TV, but my understanding is that the sale of homebrew is illegal. That place probably cannot legally sell your beers, even after you give it to them for free.

#5 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:30 PM

I don't even play a lawyer on TV, but my understanding is that the sale of homebrew is illegal. That place probably cannot legally sell your beers, even after you give it to them for free.

I told my dad that. He said that they would sell a package and part of that would be a free beer ticket as an "extra". So there would be no direct sale. The tournament is for a hospice home for terminally ill kids so I doubt anyone will say anything. Also, we can label the beer as Craft beer, or something like that so nobody knows the difference.Cheers,Rich

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:18 AM

I told my dad that. He said that they would sell a package and part of that would be a free beer ticket as an "extra". So there would be no direct sale. The tournament is for a hospice home for terminally ill kids so I doubt anyone will say anything. Also, we can label the beer as Craft beer, or something like that so nobody knows the difference.Cheers,Rich

I'll be honest, anytime money is involved in any way, I'd keep clear. I know guys brew for weddings and such, but that's a pure cost savings type of a situation where no profit is involved (even if to a charity). I wouldn't want to get in trouble, and I wouldn't want to get the charity in trouble.I see what you are saying though... the beer was donated and the tickets are to "control" the intake of the participants, which would be responsible hosting. Does the orgainzation need to do anything else to be able to serve???

#7 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:48 AM

I'll be honest, anytime money is involved in any way, I'd keep clear. I know guys brew for weddings and such, but that's a pure cost savings type of a situation where no profit is involved (even if to a charity). I wouldn't want to get in trouble, and I wouldn't want to get the charity in trouble.I see what you are saying though... the beer was donated and the tickets are to "control" the intake of the participants, which would be responsible hosting. Does the orgainzation need to do anything else to be able to serve???

They will already be serving alcohol at the event. All the beer and liquor is free with admission. The Charity isn't holding the event, my dads org is hosting the event and all the proceeds go to charity so they are free from any responsibility. So basically if you donate a certain amount you get special beer tickets with it, like you said, just to control consumption. I don't think that constitutes sale. Of course this all hinges on me being able to brew a good beer. I gotta get practicing!

#8 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16534 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:22 AM

I brew 100's of gallons for charity each year. So the easiest and legal way to recoup your cost is to write a check from your own account in the name of the charity. Then have the charity pop you cash in return after the event is over. All charity fundraising organizers will pay themselves back a certain % of operating costs, the remainder is donated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users