#1 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:59 PM

So back in mid November I brewed a porter with Wyeast 1450 Denny's favorite. It was the 3rd batch i brewed with it and i just racked on top of the yeast cake from the previous batch. This stuff for me was a very very slow fermenter. It sat in the primary for 3-4 weeks and I swirled a few times. When I racked to the 2ndary it was at 1.022...My guess is the thing stalled out or maybe i used more unfermentables than i thought....here is the bill7 lbs maris otter2 lbs brown1 lb victory.5 lb dark crystal.5 lb flaked barley.25 chocolateI mashed at 155 degrees. Wound up with 5 gallons at 1.055.Since it was in the primary for so long i guessed that it was done and racked it on top of gelatin.... The last batch of brew that i also used the 1450 with is still not fully carbed and that got bottled around the same time i brewed this porter. I fear this yeast just wasn't a good batch...So here is my question....I want to bottle this tomorrow, I fear that they wont be carbed until april if i just bottle with the current beer in the 2ndary, the yeast just doesnt want to work with me. So i am thinking of maybe going and getting a pack of us-05 and adding some to the bottling bucket with the corn sugar. At 1.022 I feel there may be some more fermentable sugar in there so I dont want to create bottle bombs...however it possible that at 1.022 it is done and I will under carb if i dont add enough sugar...What says ye Brews Bros....

#2 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10784 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:29 PM

I would pitch the US-O5 in the primary and let it go a day or two to see if it can ferment out more before bottling.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:34 PM

I have brewed with 1450 several times and have found this yeast to be a slower fermenter as well. I have also found that at around 1.020 it seems to stop on me too but then transferring to secondary the FG comes down to 1.012-1.016 in a week or two more. If you are saying that even after a couple of weeks in secondary the gravity did not drop any further? Even with that if I were you I would just bottle up the batch and let it go. To me while 1450 might be slow it works well. If your FG didn't change and is still at 1.022 I would doubt there are many fermentables left too. I would just bottle up this batch and let it sit. I would be with a nice simple sugar source that the 1450 will do its job and carb up your beer. $0.02.

#4 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:15 PM

I think the one thing I should haven mentioned is that the 2ndary was kept in a room that was a little chilly. I didnt notice until after a week but the GF had strung an extension cord through the window for the outside xmas lights and it was probably around 55 in there. In the last few days i brought the temp of the carboy up but no activity. I agree with you NC, the other 2 batches I made with it fermented a little more in the 2ndary...but since it was cooler it might have not gotten the chance....I might go ahead and add some 05 in there and see what happens....if there are no more fermentables then it wont do any harm...if there are then it will come down and I have some malto dextrin to add to keep the body where i want it.

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:24 AM

I think the one thing I should haven mentioned is that the 2ndary was kept in a room that was a little chilly. I didnt notice until after a week but the GF had strung an extension cord through the window for the outside xmas lights and it was probably around 55 in there. In the last few days i brought the temp of the carboy up but no activity. I agree with you NC, the other 2 batches I made with it fermented a little more in the 2ndary...but since it was cooler it might have not gotten the chance....I might go ahead and add some 05 in there and see what happens....if there are no more fermentables then it wont do any harm...if there are then it will come down and I have some malto dextrin to add to keep the body where i want it.

I would say if you have a week to spare and you know the temp for secondary was only around 55 degrees then I say move to where you know it will be 65 degrees or so and give it a week. Maybe its just me but I don't like adding in a second yeast after I have pitched another one. I think 7 days and a warmer environment will help bring your FG down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users