6 replies to this topic

#1 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 02 January 2010 - 10:26 AM

I'm bottling a batch of pale ale today and realized that I'm short about half of the corn sugar I need. Would it hurt anything to make up the difference in DME? Beersmith calls for 4.12 oz of CS or 5.77 oz of DME. Can I just use half of each and bottle with that? Is it necessary to boil the DME for a full 15 mins or can it just be dissolved in hot water? Thanks.

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:13 AM

I'm bottling a batch of pale ale today and realized that I'm short about half of the corn sugar I need. Would it hurt anything to make up the difference in DME? Beersmith calls for 4.12 oz of CS or 5.77 oz of DME. Can I just use half of each and bottle with that? Is it necessary to boil the DME for a full 15 mins or can it just be dissolved in hot water? Thanks.

why not just use table sugar?note: corn sugar to table sugar isn't a straight 1 to 1 replacement

#3 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:26 AM

I would go with ZYM's idea of adding the table sugar.But if you have the DME why not just use it and save the two oz of corn sugar? and YES with the boil of dme. I always had a good rolling boil for 8-10 minutes. Why take a chance now on saving a few minutes?

#4 aquahijo

aquahijo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, NC

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:29 AM

why not just use table sugar?note: corn sugar to table sugar isn't a straight 1 to 1 replacement

What is the ratio of table sugar to corn sugar? Are the any drawbacks to using table sugar? Longer conditioning times?

#5 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:45 AM

try this site . Enter your numbers here.https://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html

#6 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25765 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 02 January 2010 - 11:50 AM

What is the ratio of table sugar to corn sugar? Are the any drawbacks to using table sugar? Longer conditioning times?

I think there have been experiments with corn sugar vs DME. Bottom line, no difference was detected.Same with corn sugar vs table sugar, no difference.I wouldn't bother to mix and match. Use one go with it. You can get table sugar any time you need, so just go with that.If you mix and match and down the road something isn't perfect, you going to create all kinds of anxiety for yourself. Then you will post: "I bottled 3 weeks ago and I mixed corn sugar with table sugar for priming. Now my beer is [insert negative adjective(s) here]. Is my beer ruined. Please help."Not saying mixing will cause problems, it could induce brewer's nervosa syndrome.zymot

#7 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:57 PM

This might answer some of your questions...https://www.byo.com/resources/carbonation

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users