3 replies to this topic

#1 simonsez

simonsez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, CA

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:38 PM

well i transferred my bass clone to a secondary 5 gal glass carboy 8 days ago. What is the general consensus on how long to leave in the secondary? ive read that high OG beers and most ales can benefit from this type of conditioning. Also i did notice that there is alot more head space than expected ( i guess i am a bit short of 5 gal) so i am a bit worried about oxidation although the carboy is tightly sealed.thanks and happy new year!

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:45 PM

well i transferred my bass clone to a secondary 5 gal glass carboy 8 days ago. What is the general consensus on how long to leave in the secondary? ive read that high OG beers and most ales can benefit from this type of conditioning. Also i did notice that there is alot more head space than expected ( i guess i am a bit short of 5 gal) so i am a bit worried about oxidation although the carboy is tightly sealed.thanks and happy new year!

The main purpose for a secondary is to clarify the beer that you brewed. I would not expect a beer such as a Bass Clone to need much conditioning. A beer like Stouts and Barleywines need conditioning time to mellow and meld flavors so a big beer would require much more time. I think if you are happy with how the beer tastes at 8 days conditioning and the clarity then if you can get it going so you can consume it. I understand your concerns about the headspace and oxidation but unless you transfer out of your container I don't think there is anything you can do about it. If you keg and are ready I say keg your beer or if you bottle then if you can and want then bottle, otherwise I think your beer should be fine when you are ready to get to drinking it.

#3 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:11 PM

I am of the school that if you secondary- then do it for the benefits. An extra week in the primary, then a transfer to keg or bottling bucket would have probably done the same as what you have now. Bass is a clear ale. If I went to the bar and ordered a Bass, and got something murky i would be pissed. Now that you have made your transfer, 8 days may have got it a little clearer, but the transfer is done- I would give it a 3-4 week or so rest in the coldest possible condition you have available. Try not to disturb it much before you transfer for packaging and you will have a much clearer, cleaner, closer to Bass looking beer. If your intent was just to have a Bass tasting beer, and the rest dosnt much matter, then go ahead and package now, but chances are your step of secondary provided little benefit. Don't forget we do a lot of tasting with our eyes!

#4 simonsez

simonsez

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, CA

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:02 PM

well unfortnately i had to ditch the beer. sampled the beer before bottling and beer was soapy, skunky and very hazy. oh well i guess the second yeast activator pack wasnt added soon enough (70hrs) after the first was a dud. need to have a dry yeast back up on hand in case this happens again.back to the drawing board :frank: brew #3 coming up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users