#1 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:02 PM

About 5 weeks ago I brewed a Czech pils 1.056(overshot my eff) pils,carapils, & munich grain bill.I had about 1/2 in. of clean washed W34/70 yeast in a qt. mason jar which I made a non-stir plate stepped starter with-3qt. to 3 qt. & decanted before use. I pitched at 48F, placed in my ferm. chamber set at 48F and had activity w/in 5hrs.This thing went nuts! It had fermented down to 1.014 at 3 days at which point I let the temp rise over the next few to 63F for a d.c. rest. It had finished at 1.010 by the 4th day. I have a digital temp probe and can honestly say that the ferm temp never went over 54F. The yeast's range is up to around 58.5 (I think)By the 8th day, it had dropped clear Posted Imageand I racked to secondary (I use buckets) and has been lagering for 4 weeks. It never had diacytl, sulphur odors, doesn't taste estery, or appley, but is very slightly cloudy.I obviously overpitched. What are your opinions on how this will turn out? I'm not worried b/c I've learned that "what will be-will, be" but am curious as to your thoughts.

#2 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:44 PM

That's quite a bit warmer than I would use 34/70 (I use the liquid versions, Wyeast 2124 and WLP830). I usually shoot for 48-50 F beer temperature.However, fermentation is a very complicated process with a lot of different variables that come into play, and if it tastes good to you, then that's the important thing. I'd say you are worrying for no reason.And for what it's worth, a good portion of commercial breweries experience lager fermentations that short. Not very uncommon at all.

#3 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:02 PM

That's quite a bit warmer than I would use 34/70 (I use the liquid versions, Wyeast 2124 and WLP830). I usually shoot for 48-50 F beer temperature.

From Fermentis' pdf on W34: Recommended fermentation temperature: 9C – 15C, ideally 12C.It never went over 54F which is really close to 12C. Thanks for the input. I thought I had remembered something from Ken Lenard's site about people primarying lagers too long, so I went on there and found it. Looks like I did just what I was supposed to. Just never thought I'd have a lager ferment that fast.

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:39 PM

About 5 weeks ago I brewed a Czech pils 1.056(overshot my eff) pils,carapils, & munich grain bill.I had about 1/2 in. of clean washed W34/70 yeast in a qt. mason jar which I made a non-stir plate stepped starter with-3qt. to 3 qt. & decanted before use. I pitched at 48F, placed in my ferm. chamber set at 48F and had activity w/in 5hrs.This thing went nuts! It had fermented down to 1.014 at 3 days at which point I let the temp rise over the next few to 63F for a d.c. rest. It had finished at 1.010 by the 4th day. I have a digital temp probe and can honestly say that the ferm temp never went over 54F. The yeast's range is up to around 58.5 (I think)By the 8th day, it had dropped clear Posted Imageand I racked to secondary (I use buckets) and has been lagering for 4 weeks. It never had diacytl, sulphur odors, doesn't taste estery, or appley, but is very slightly cloudy.I obviously overpitched. What are your opinions on how this will turn out? I'm not worried b/c I've learned that "what will be-will, be" but am curious as to your thoughts.

I agree with Slainte and believe you are just fine with your beer. I just finished a Vienna Lager with a repitch of the Staro Yeast 2782 and it fermented from 1.050 down to 1.012 in less than 10 days including D rest. I thought that was fast so I think too if yours taste good you are good to go too. Happy New Years and Cheers.

#5 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:58 PM

We generally use that yeast at 50dF on worts of similar gravity, and they complete fermentation in that timeframe.RDWHAHB

#6 azu

azu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationDarby, PA

Posted 01 January 2010 - 05:17 PM

You should allow some more time in primary to allow the yeast to "clean up" a bit. I too have seen my lagers hit close to FG within 5 days.

#7 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2010 - 09:06 AM

You should allow some more time in primary to allow the yeast to "clean up" a bit. I too have seen my lagers hit close to FG within 5 days.

It should be fine as long as there is no "green apple" flavor in the hydro samples. Besides the d-rest should take care of all that stuff anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users