4 replies to this topic

#1 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:20 PM

I opened a bottle of apple mead i'd made off, I think your recipe, last night, it was very great, but now i can't find the recipe again, if it was yours would you post it on this board? thanks

#2 Matt the Mead Maker

Matt the Mead Maker

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1403 posts
  • LocationWillamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:56 PM

Boy, I've made a lot of cyser and I"m not quite sure which one you're referring to. Here's the base cyser that I'll often use as a starting point for my melomels. I posted this recipe on the old forum a while back:

I like to start out with a cyser because cysers tend to be strong fermenters that leave you with a light, almost unidentifiable fruit flavor that's a good base to start from when adding fresh fruit. Most people make a traditional mead instead of a cyser in the primary. Here's my basic approach:Primary Fermenter16 pounds honey4 gallons cider or apple juiceLalvin 71B (2 packets rehydrated with go-ferm)Staggered nutrient additions

If that's not it, were you possibly thinking of Schramm's Falls Bounty Cyser or Cruz's Apple Butter Cyser, which we did as group brews in the past?

Edited by Matt the Mead Maker, 17 April 2009 - 08:56 PM.

#3 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:41 PM

Boy, I've made a lot of cyser and I"m not quite sure which one you're referring to. Here's the base cyser that I'll often use as a starting point for my melomels. I posted this recipe on the old forum a while back:If that's not it, were you possibly thinking of Schramm's Falls Bounty Cyser or Cruz's Apple Butter Cyser, which we did as group brews in the past?

I'm sorry i didn't come back and correct my post, the recipe had fallen under my table, it was the one with 10lb honey , dark sugar and dates and raisens., i need to pick up more supplies, and make this again. it was a big hit at easter dinner.

#4 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:57 PM

That's the Fall Bounty Cyser.

That would be a good one to post in the recipes for others

#5 Matt the Mead Maker

Matt the Mead Maker

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1403 posts
  • LocationWillamette Valley, Oregon

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:52 PM

That would be a good one to post in the recipes for others

It's a stellar recipe, I agree! As far as posting the recipe here goes... it's Ken Schramm's recipe from his excellent book "The Compleat Mead Maker". It was printed by permission on the old board due to the fact that we were using it for a group brew. If you don't have Ken's book, I highly recommend it. Maybe we should do Fall's Bounty as a group brew over here next Fall. That would give us a good excuse to ask him for permission to post it again. :blush:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users