#1 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35396 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:04 AM

I took a sample of my post-boil wort from last weekend. At I promptly lost the hydrometer. 2 days later I find it sitting on the counter. Wort and all. No foam or anything on top... So I figure I would leave it be and see what happens.This morning there is a definite kreusen on top, and the hydrometer has bobbed down a few points. I am thinking I will leave it like this a few more days and see what it tastes like. I wonder what yeast was floating around my air and landed in my wort...???

#2 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:11 AM

I wonder what yeast was floating around my air and landed in my wort...???

It's called wild yeast :)

#3 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:23 AM

It's called wild yeast :)

Or Acetobacter which is pretty much ubiquitous. Not to mention the fact that it's everywhere. :(

#4 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:43 AM

Or Acetobacter which is pretty much ubiquitous. Not to mention the fact that it's everywhere. :)

Having done some spontaneous fermentation experiments myself, unfortunately acetobacter is more than likely what you will end up with.But hey nothing to loose. Being as you are in the Delaware river basin You might find some previously unidentified.... uhhh something :(

#5 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

Or Acetobacter which is pretty much ubiquitous. Not to mention the fact that it's everywhere. :)

That would be my guess too.

#6 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35396 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:30 PM

Having done some spontaneous fermentation experiments myself, unfortunately acetobacter is more than likely what you will end up with.But hey nothing to loose. Being as you are in the Delaware river basin You might find some previously unidentified.... uhhh something :)

One can only hope though...right?I could call it the Philadelphia Ale Yeast... It yeilds a sort-of lead flavor...with a hint of copper jacket and some residual notes of nitrocellulose. Get too close while its fermenting and it may jump from the carboy and beat you senseless.Or its probably just acetobacter... :(

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:36 PM

crud, thought it was omnipresent. :(

#8 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

I was under the impression that Acetobacter would only vinegarize your beer in the presence of alcohol and oxygen. Is my understanding incorrect?

#9 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

I was under the impression that Acetobacter would only vinegarize your beer in the presence of alcohol and oxygen. Is my understanding incorrect?

I "think" it will eat about anything, but will get to ETOH too. Can't wait for the damn fruit flies to show up again. I get paranoid everytime my wife brings back fruit from the farmer's market on brewday or the day before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users