#1 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:45 PM

I am planning on brewing a samichlaus clone using WLP885, and rather than doing a massive starter, I'd rather make a smaller starter for a smaller beer. I plan on either starting with the doppelbock, or most likely, starting with a smaller lager, then going to the dopplebock, maybe an imperial pilsener, and then the samichlaus, and another one if I have the time for it (I like to get the most out of my liquid yeasts).I'd like to brew a good/decent dopplebock. Is this going to be possible with the WLP885? I am making the dopplebock for a friend, so if it isn't going to be a good example, I may as well get the right yeast to make a good dopplebock, but if the WLP885 will make a decent one, I'd like to just put it in my lineup.I've searched, and seen some use the WLP885 for dopplebocks, but not too much feedback, and most just use it for the samichlaus, at least as far as google is telling me.I haven't done many lagers to date (I think only two?), but am familiar with the process, and want to make sure I do things right. I will be making a starter for the first lager in the series, and then just collecting some of the slurry to repitch for the next in the series, and repeat. I wanted to take advantage of the cold weather while I have it.

#2 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:48 AM

I used 833 for my last dopplebock which was outstanding. I was also thinking about doing a samichlaus clone, but could not find the 885, so I got more 833 and am going with my own recipe. It went to the final round of the NHC last year, and made it to the mini BOS for bocks, being only 7 months old. I just had one of the 2 I had left xmas night, and it could be one of the best beers I ever drank, let alone brewed. I am a big fan of the 833

#3 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:30 AM

well, I went ahead and bought the 833, your testimony was good enough for me!My 885 still hasn't come in yet anyway, so I already made a starter for the 833, and I will do a bock, then a dopplebock on top of the yeast cake.Thanks for the response, I am looking forward to these lagers!

#4 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 02 January 2010 - 02:35 PM

well, I went ahead and bought the 833, your testimony was good enough for me!My 885 still hasn't come in yet anyway, so I already made a starter for the 833, and I will do a bock, then a dopplebock on top of the yeast cake.Thanks for the response, I am looking forward to these lagers!

Oh the irony! After getting excited about the last (pretty much) of my DB, I ordered everything for an upcoming batch. I decided to try wy2206 instead, just because it is supposed to be the same strain, and I wanted to A. see if there is any difference, and B. pitch swelled smack packs into my 3 gallons worth of starter. I was out on the ice fishing on wednesday, and Midwest called me to let me know they wouldnt have the 2206 in for another day, and with the holiday shipping it would ultimately delay my order to not be shipped until this coming monday. Not thinking too quick I just said screw it, I'll brew an RIS next friday, and the DB will have to wait an extra week. After I hung up the phone I realized- why not just get the 833? So I called back and they were able to pick and ship right then and there, so I should get my supplies in time to make a huge starter and brew the DB on friday. I usually call my DBs CommonTator, but I may need to create a more fateful name!

#5 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

Executive Director of Whatnot and what not

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14224 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:09 AM

Don't know if you have done anything yet, but here is my take on it. The 885 is awesome!!! I do a Samiclaus clone every year (3rd year now) and it will easily reach 14-16% abv. I do the same thing you have done, I make a 5 gal batch of something as a starter for the clone. I will tell you the 885 will burn through the suger and make a rather dry beer. You can mash higher, or even add a little lactose if you need a higher FG, and don't mind a mildly sweet beer. Good luck with it whatever you do.

#6 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:38 PM

What have you made as your 'starter' beer?I have already made my doppelbock with the 833, but still have the 885 for my samiclaus clone that I am planning. I bought some dark candi and dark 2 candi syrup for this, so I am looking forward to doing this batch. Since this is my first real foray into lagers, I want to do as many as I can while the temperature is low to get as much experience with it as I can.

#7 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14224 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:11 PM

What have you made as your 'starter' beer?

First year I made an o'fest, decent beer, but way, way too dry for style, that yeast will chew through everything.Second year, I did a black lager with some extra crystal and mashed at about 158, worked better but it was still fairly dry.This years batch (still in primary) was another black lager, this time with some lactose. Totally out of style, but I got a buddy with a bit of a sweet tooth, so I will see how this turns out.I usually buy 2 tubes, make a 1 gallon starter with one tube, then pitch the slurry and 2nd tube into these 'starter' beers. All of these were 5 gallon batches, and when I brew the clone, I pitch on the entire yeast cake. Let me know if I can tell you anything else, this is all from memory, and I can dig out my notes. (i'm lazy) Good luck.Matt

Edited by Lance, 14 January 2010 - 07:11 PM.

#8 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:18 PM

A dark lager, or even another (different) bock may be in line before the samiclaus. I like to get as much as I can out of a tube of yeast, so the more beers I can brew with it, the better.

#9 DieselGopher

DieselGopher

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14224 posts
  • Locationhanging around

Posted 14 January 2010 - 07:54 PM

A dark lager, or even another (different) bock may be in line before the samiclaus. I like to get as much as I can out of a tube of yeast, so the more beers I can brew with it, the better.

I do the same. All winter, when my crawl space is cold enough to primary lagers, that is pretty much all I brew. My usual course is to buy 2 tubes of a certain yeast and get 30-40 gallons out of it. Makes it a little more econmical on the yeast end, and I have enough lager to get through the warmer months. B)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users