#1 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:14 AM

So I relized on my last brew that my thermometer probe for my smoker isn't supposed to get wet. Well it lasted for a few batches then the probe took a hit. Anyway whats a good thermometer with a SS probe and long lead that I can use for my mash and boil similar to a ET-73 smoker thermo?

#2 Cam

Cam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

What kind of mash tun do you use? The reason I ask is because I recently added thermometers to my mash tun, sparge vessel, and brew pot and it's been great. I also have a 2" face 12" long bimetallic thermometer that I purchased from morebeer (I have the same thermometers in my kettles) and I've been very pleased with them. I think the 12" thermometer is around 25 bucks, but it responds very quickly and is easy to calibrate. I had one like you for a while, but the probe didn't last long. You can buy replacement probes, but I'd recommend a nice bimetallic thermometer that will last you a while.

#3 BikeBrewer

BikeBrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ontario

Posted 16 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

I'm not convinced that mine's calibrated properly at mash temp. What can I do beyond checking it at boiling temps?/hijack (sorry)

#4 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:15 AM

What kind of mash tun do you use? The reason I ask is because I recently added thermometers to my mash tun, sparge vessel, and brew pot and it's been great. I also have a 2" face 12" long bimetallic thermometer that I purchased from morebeer (I have the same thermometers in my kettles) and I've been very pleased with them. I think the 12" thermometer is around 25 bucks, but it responds very quickly and is easy to calibrate. I had one like you for a while, but the probe didn't last long. You can buy replacement probes, but I'd recommend a nice bimetallic thermometer that will last you a while.

I have a coleman cooler mash tum and a keggle for boil pot. I'm not really sold on the 12" long thermometers because they wont really work that easy on either. Where as a probe I can have it in the mash tun and still read it on the outside. My smoker probe didn't last long, thats why I'm looking for a waterproof one.

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:41 AM

I'm not convinced that mine's calibrated properly at mash temp. What can I do beyond checking it at boiling temps?/hijack (sorry)

You can calibrate it against a medical thermometer at about 100°F.

I have a coleman cooler mash tum and a keggle for boil pot. I'm not really sold on the 12" long thermometers because they wont really work that easy on either. Where as a probe I can have it in the mash tun and still read it on the outside. My smoker probe didn't last long, thats why I'm looking for a waterproof one.

I used to use one of those and had the same problems with the lead getting wet. Finally I gave in and installed a Zymico™ Thermosight on my mash tun and put an Extech digital thermometer in it.https://www.extech.c.......&prodid=399

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users