#1 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:46 PM

So I made a cali common and I am thinking about what to do with the yeast when this one is complete. I love Vienna Lagers but have yet to make one for myself. I was thinking of this grain bill:7 lbs Weyermann Vienna1.5 lbs Weyermann Pils.5 lb Caramel VienneOG: 1.049-1.051this would be fermented with California Lager 2112 and not with a European lagar strain...the hop bill would be up for grabs....i could go more of the cali common style with Northern Brewer or i have some US Hallertauer or Czech Saaz (not much left in the tank of those though)IBU: something around the 32 rangeI also have a plethora of hop strains in the freezer so anything is possible.What says ye Brew Bros? Any suggestions welcome ranging from this is a crap idea to this is freakin awesome.

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:04 PM

I've done something similar with a Pils/Munich mix. I've never been very happy with it though.I have a Baltic Porter on tap now that I consider outstanding. Brewed it with 2112. And in the past I've done some lower gravity porters with 2112 that I enjoyed.

#3 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:29 PM

I've done something similar with a Pils/Munich mix. I've never been very happy with it though. I have a Baltic Porter on tap now that I consider outstanding. Brewed it with 2112. And in the past I've done some lower gravity porters with 2112 that I enjoyed.

I have herd 2112 was good for baltics, however I just brewed one that is still sitting in the 2ndary so I am looking in other directions.

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 29 December 2009 - 05:30 PM

So I made a cali common and I am thinking about what to do with the yeast when this one is complete. I love Vienna Lagers but have yet to make one for myself. I was thinking of this grain bill: 7 lbs Weyermann Vienna 1.5 lbs Weyermann Pils .5 lb Caramel Vienne OG: 1.049-1.051 this would be fermented with California Lager 2112 and not with a European lagar strain... the hop bill would be up for grabs....i could go more of the cali common style with Northern Brewer or i have some US Hallertauer or Czech Saaz (not much left in the tank of those though) IBU: something around the 32 range I also have a plethora of hop strains in the freezer so anything is possible. What says ye Brew Bros? Any suggestions welcome ranging from this is a crap idea to this is freakin awesome.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your plan or idea DBS. I think your grain bill looks good for a "Vienna Lager" styled beer. I just brewed one that I am doing a D rest on started today that was Vienna, Pils and Caramunich II. I brewed mine as a lager with Staro but I think you would do fine with the 2112 yeast as well. I used it on a good few beer this year earlier, IPA, Pale Ale, Stout, Porter and they all turned out great. I say brew it as you listed and hop with Hallertau and let it go with the 2112. Hey as they say this is about experimentation and I think you will have good results with it too. The only other suggestion is and its your choice was if you wanted to scale back the IBU's below 30 to fit a Vienna Lager and then see what 2112 does. Good Luck, it looks good to me.

#5 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25382 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:41 AM

I think its a great idea and that there needs to be more lager experimentation in general. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users