#1 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 29 December 2009 - 09:37 AM

The thread about using S05 at cooler than normal temperatures got me thinking about yeasts that would have an easier time fermenting in my basement this time of year. Currently my basement is sitting at an ambient of about 50 degrees. I keep a glass of water down there with thermometer in it (is that a good enough measure?). So far I've come up with the following:1007 - German AleTemperature Range: 55-68° F (13-20° C)1728 - Scottish AleTemperature Range: 55-75° F (13-24° C)2565 - KolschTemperature Range: 56-70° F (13-21° C)I'm pushing the bottom of the range for each yeast, but they are the ones I've found that are listed to tolerate sub 60 degrees temps. I think that as long as fermentation takes off vigorously, I should end up with an acceptable internal temp. My only concern would be the temp being high enough to finish out and get down to FG I want. Any thoughts on other yeasts or suggestions?

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:17 AM

The thread about using S05 at cooler than normal temperatures got me thinking about yeasts that would have an easier time fermenting in my basement this time of year. Currently my basement is sitting at an ambient of about 50 degrees. I keep a glass of water down there with thermometer in it (is that a good enough measure?). So far I've come up with the following:1007 - German AleTemperature Range: 55-68° F (13-20° C)1728 - Scottish AleTemperature Range: 55-75° F (13-24° C)2565 - KolschTemperature Range: 56-70° F (13-21° C)I'm pushing the bottom of the range for each yeast, but they are the ones I've found that are listed to tolerate sub 60 degrees temps. I think that as long as fermentation takes off vigorously, I should end up with an acceptable internal temp. My only concern would be the temp being high enough to finish out and get down to FG I want. Any thoughts on other yeasts or suggestions?

I started the US-05 thread... so, I have this to offer. Last year I brewed a Kolsch at this same time of the year and stuck it out in the garage under the same conditions that my US-05 is "enduring" (ok... if you read up, I brought it inside last night). The Kolsch did just fine. In fact, it was a great beer to have on tap.

#3 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:26 AM

I've used Danstar Nottingham dry ale yeast in the upper 50 F range, with good results - clean crisp profile.

#4 *_Guest_MW2_*

*_Guest_MW2_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:27 AM

1056 as well.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:35 AM

I've used Danstar Nottingham dry ale yeast in the upper 50 F range, with good results - clean crisp profile.

same here

#6 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64243 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:41 AM

Cal Common...

#7 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:43 AM

Cal Common...

Would low 50's be too cold for 2112? I thought it needed a little higher temp to do its magic.

#8 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:40 PM

Would low 50's be too cold for 2112? I thought it needed a little higher temp to do its magic.

i was just currently fermenting 2112 at around 52-54....it got going but was pretty slow...I moved it to a warmer area and it starting picking up...wont be sure of the final gravity for another few days.

#9 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10778 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:40 PM

Is there a reason you cannot use a lager yeast?

#10 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:23 PM

Is there a reason you cannot use a lager yeast?

I've never used a lager yeast, don't have temp control and would be at the top of the acceptable range. I was thinking I'd be safer going for a low temp ale than fermenting a lager higher than it should go.

#11 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14809 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:53 AM

Is a Fermwrap for your carboy out of the question? Aren't they pretty cheap?

#12 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10778 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:17 AM

I've never used a lager yeast, don't have temp control and would be at the top of the acceptable range. I was thinking I'd be safer going for a low temp ale than fermenting a lager higher than it should go.

I checked the Wyeast site this morning for lager yeasts:https://www.wyeastla...yeaststrain.cfmIt looks like low to mid 50's is right where you want to be with these.

#13 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:39 AM

I checked the Wyeast site this morning for lager yeasts:https://www.wyeastla...yeaststrain.cfmIt looks like low to mid 50's is right where you want to be with these.

I can do a water bath and ice bottles to get more to a stable 50 during high fermentation... maybe it's time for my first lager after all. This will probably be decided by what I can find at the LHBS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users