#1 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:10 PM

I bought some stuff from my LHBS to use when making starters. He acted like he didn't know anything about it. It's in a little white pouch. It says: "Anti Foam Agent, add to 23-25L of Turbo Yeast or Wine before fermentation, Net Wt: 0.17oz (5g)"Will this work for adding to a boiling starter wort? I want to add something to prevent the boil over while using my 2L flask. What do you use and where do you get it?

#2 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:26 PM

I really like the Fermcap-S from Northern Brewer. Fermcap-SI use it for boiling starters, in my main wort boil and in the fermenter.

#3 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64243 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:50 PM

I have a couple of those packets, never used them. I bought the Fermcap-S instead. It works great.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:06 PM

I'll bet it's the same thing as Fermcap, just not mixed in an emulsion. "powdered, food-grade silicone" according to some websites...........And why doesn't my lhbs carry it?

#5 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18091 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:14 PM

I love fermcap. That stuff is amazing.

#6 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:15 PM

Well, I added a good size pinch to the wort. So, I'll know in a while. I'm late for dinner, so I'm taking my flask with a 2 liter starter made up inside, and vial of yeast in my pocket. I'll boil and cool it there and pitch the yeast. Then I'll bring it back home and put on the stir plate.

#7 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 27 December 2009 - 05:29 PM

I really like the Fermcap-S from Northern Brewer. Fermcap-SI use it for boiling starters, in my main wort boil and in the fermenter.

+1

#8 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:47 PM

+1

#9 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10778 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:54 PM

I couldn't live without fermcap in the winter. I brew inside in a 30 qt pot and I need it to prevent boil overs. The fermcap also limited the krausen in the carboy rarely getting over 2 inches. I think my initial bottle is going to last me 5 years.

#10 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9179 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 27 December 2009 - 07:36 PM

I use the "foam control" stuff from B3. I'm sure it's the same thing.

#11 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:31 PM

Whatever this stuff is, it didn't do what I wanted it to. I didn't weigh it out or anything, but I did put in a good size pinch, maybe a half teaspoon. It looked like it would be good, then all of the sudden, BAM!, the boil over. No biggee. I just cleaned up and moved on.I can't believe my LHBS doesn't have the Fermcap. All is not lost. My happy starter is whirring away on the stir plate in front of me while I type. Tomorrow it'll be more yeast. Later this week it'll be a IIPA, or IPA. Yeast is your friend.

#12 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:39 PM

And why doesn't my lhbs carry it?

I can't believe my LHBS doesn't have the Fermcap.

Have you asked them to get it in?There are a lot of potential items homebrew shops can carry, and most don't have the ability to carry it all. So unless they know their customers want it, they may never know to get it in, or even know it exists.

#13 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:16 PM

Whatever this stuff is, it didn't do what I wanted it to. I didn't weigh it out or anything, but I did put in a good size pinch, maybe a half teaspoon. It looked like it would be good, then all of the sudden, BAM!, the boil over. No biggee. I just cleaned up and moved on.I can't believe my LHBS doesn't have the Fermcap. All is not lost. My happy starter is whirring away on the stir plate in front of me while I type. Tomorrow it'll be more yeast. Later this week it'll be a IIPA, or IPA. Yeast is your friend.

when i first was looking for it my lhbs only had the powdered stuff and said they had never herd of fermcap....i looked and it was at a lot of online stores but most were out of stock...i am guessing maybe they dont produce alot for homebrewers...i think i finally got it from B3 a little 4oz container with a handwritten label...they must buy in bulk and break it up.

#14 boo boo

boo boo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHeart's Delight, Newfoundland

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:50 AM

I have it and haven't used it it in more than a year.I just leave more headspace than I used to.

#15 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:26 AM

I have it and haven't used it it in more than a year.I just leave more headspace than I used to.

I normally don't boil in my flask. I used to do it in a large pot and then transfer it to the flask for the stir plate. I had 2 liters of liquid in a 2L flask, so there wasn't much room to spare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users