#1 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:34 PM

So most recently all my brews have been finishing a bit high around the 1015-17 area. I have done nothing new in my process besides swithing to stovetop and increasing my crush. I used to think I got bad batch of yeast and hence was my issue. Since then I have gone thru a few batches around 4 with higher FG's.Prior to those batches ive always hit my FG on the head. Ive narrowed it down to those few things but need some insight from you guys to help outso in short, My FG is too high and these are the culprits i might think may be causing it1.) crush- could i be crushing to much releasing tannins (i dont think its the case since i dont have the tannin taste)2.) stove top- not enough heat to get a nice big boil3.) Thermometer- its something simple but it could be it, might be mashing to high and getting unfermentables from the mash. (I calibrate to ice water every 2 months, any tips for calibrating a steel probe?)Carlos

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

[*]Crush won't give you more tannins and more tannins won't give you a higher FG. So we can eliminate this one.[*]Big boil won't raise your FG either so scratch this one too.[*]This could definitely be it but it's a little unlikely. To calibrate, you need a reference thermometer -- one you know is very accurate. You can get a good lab grade thermometer for I think around $10 (could be wrong about that since I've never bought one). Or if you have a medical thermometer, you can put it and the one you're calibrating into some warm (~100°F) water.[/list]Have you changed recipes lately? More crystal malt will raise the FG.ps, please lay off the caps lock, k?

#3 MoreAmmoPlz

MoreAmmoPlz

Comptroller of Ivory Powers

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2165 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

I'd be leaning towards #3. Your crush wouldn't affect your final gravity unless you are getting better efficiency and thus the yeast is still attenuating properly but is finishing higher. If that were the case I think the beer would still taste fine because the additional alcohol would offset the higher residual sweetness. The boil shouldn't affect your FG either.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64122 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:46 PM

what is this 'brewboard' you speak of?

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48003 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:46 PM

Hydrometer scale might have gotten tweaked. Has the OG been higher, too?

#6 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:48 PM

wow freudian slip! can we change it to blue board?

#7 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:49 PM

Hydrometer scale might have gotten tweaked. Has the OG been higher, too?

i got anew one thats calibrated for 59 degrees but it hasnt been much difference really.

#8 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:54 PM

I lean toward #3 also.FWIW, drewseslu told me about one of the STL Brews that was having attenuation problems. I respect the guy, he knows what he's doing. When he decreased contact time with copper in the wort the problem dissappeared.I have some fixed copper in the kettle and routinely throw the IC in at 20+ min to flameout. And a few months back had it in for the entire boil. But dj is lazy, I seldom take FG's unless I'm tasting a problem (kegging of course). Anyway, throwing that one out there.

#9 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:58 PM

what is this 'brewboard' you speak of?

I was wondering the same thing. <_< It could be a compilation of little things which add up.

#10 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

I lean toward #3 also.FWIW, drewseslu told me about one of the STL Brews that was having attenuation problems. I respect the guy, he knows what he's doing. When he decreased contact time with copper in the wort the problem dissappeared.I have some fixed copper in the kettle and routinely throw the IC in at 20+ min to flameout. And a few months back had it in for the entire boil. But dj is lazy, I seldom take FG's unless I'm tasting a problem (kegging of course). Anyway, throwing that one out there.

well the brews taste fine. just an issue with me because ive never had that problem, but for the next batch ima buy a new thermometer and try to decrease copper timei also add wyeast yeast nutrient and irish moss at 15 minutes.

#11 Bigeasy

Bigeasy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:13 PM

That's odd.My manifold in the mash tun is copper and my IC is in for the full boil,and never had attenuation probs.I'd be interested to know the science behind it.I have a hell of a time getting a regular strength beer finish above 1.010.Not bitching,but I've tried just about everything to finish an IIPA at 1.015ish,to no avail.

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

That's odd.My manifold in the mash tun is copper and my IC is in for the full boil,and never had attenuation probs.I'd be interested to know the science behind it.I have a hell of a time getting a regular strength beer finish above 1.010.Not bitching,but I've tried just about everything to finish an IIPA at 1.015ish,to no avail.

wow, I assume you have tried mashing for less time?

#13 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:48 PM

I had trouble accepting that Cu contact time would affect attenuation with what most homebrewer do. For some reason it did at his place. I haven't changed anything because of that. My wife will occasionally say one of my beers tastes a bit sweet. Well, a 153 df mash will do that and a boatload of Crystal malt will do that - I've learned not to elaborate at length. "K, it was intentional". OTOH, sometimes I lie..........Anyway, no chem/bio explanation from me.........

#14 Bigeasy

Bigeasy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:14 PM

wow, I assume you have tried mashing for less time?

I have.I've gone down to 45 mins with the following recipe.No Iodine test,but I didn't want to go any shorter.Also gone between 152 and 158 on mash temp,varying one thing at a time,i.e. a shorter mash time or higher temp.I've tested thermometers against 2 others.14 lbs Briess 2 row8 oz Briess C120This gives me an efficiency of ~72% on a 6 gallon batch at 1.063.US 05 is my go to for this recipe.I ferment this at 62 max.It finishes at 1.010 to 1.008.Sorry for jacking your thread Carlos.

#15 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

That's cool. I think my issue is the thermometer and I need to rectify.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users