#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:16 PM

I'm trying a new secondary fermentation process that I thought I would run by the board. With the cold weather here in St. Louis, I decided to use mother nature to help me cold-condition me Blonde Ale and Amber Ale. After primary, I racked to carboys and put the beers in the 38 degree garage. Two questions, what differences will I be able to notice (given that my process was done correctly), and how long to people normally cold-condition beers in secondary? I was thinking a couple weeks?Brew strong!

#2 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:23 PM

i will usually cold condition for clarity. If you let them sit at that temp for a few weeks you'll probably get all the chill haze proteins out...I usually only do it for 3-4 days in the primary and rack on gelatin which gives me some pretty clear beers. You'll probably improve taste somewhat and stability by dropping out these compounds.

#3 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:24 PM

oh and check out this it should shed some lighthttps://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter8-3.html

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54818 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

Chad, I do this too in the wintertime... basically treat my garage like a walk-in cooler. I have a few kegs out there right now. I have kept secondaries out there for weeks just to keep them cold and to get everything to drop out. It works very well. I usually wrap the secondaries in a towel or blanket (I have windows in my garage door) to keep the light out. My only issue here is that I have had my kids knock my airlock off the secondary while they were rummaging around in the garage. This can't happen with a keg, but secondaries are a little dicey. I know you have a little one, but she is not going to cause this trouble. But I have lost at least 2 five-gallon batches because of this. My wife may have been the culprit one of those times. In both cases, I found the airlock on the ground and sniffed the beer... vinegar. As long as everything is secure, I think you could take advantage of the cold and leave the beer there until you keg it... you'll want it to be cold anyway for force carbing. Cheers.

#5 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 12:35 AM

how long to people normally cold-condition beers in secondary?

I don't use secondaries, but after primary, my beer goes into a keg where it sits at 38 F for the remainder of its life.When storing beer, the colder the better (without freezing).As for differences, cold storage will precipitate out yeast, proteins, tannins, polyphenols, etc...faster than warm storage. It will also slow development of age related flaws like oxidation.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:59 AM

I don't use secondaries, but after primary, my beer goes into a keg where it sits at 38 F for the remainder of its life.When storing beer, the colder the better (without freezing).As for differences, cold storage will precipitate out yeast, proteins, tannins, polyphenols, etc...faster than warm storage. It will also slow development of age related flaws like oxidation.

WHAT?!!?? ROAR!!!j/k :stabby:

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54818 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:06 AM

I don't use secondaries, but after primary, my beer goes into a keg where it sits at 38 F for the remainder of its life.

That's the answer right there. Whenever you get to the point where you're going to chill the beer, just keep it that way... whether it's in a secondary, keg or whatever. Get it cold once primary is done and keep it that way until it's gone.

#8 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:41 AM

Good info, thanks fellas. Should I worry about temperature change in the garage? For example, let's say the temp gets up to 50 from 38? Any adverse effects?

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54818 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:07 AM

Good info, thanks fellas. Should I worry about temperature change in the garage? For example, let's say the temp gets up to 50 from 38? Any adverse effects?

Not for secondary/cold-conditioning/lagering, no... I would say no adverse effects. I wouldn't want to see the beer go from 35° to 80°, but I don't see that... even in the balmy environs of St. Louis. :stabby:

#10 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:08 AM

I probably wouldn't worry. Large temperature swings are more of a problem during fermentation.@Zym, :stabby:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users