#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:32 AM

Going to be brewing a Raspberry Wheat Ale next week and picked up a 3 lb. can of Oregon Raspberry Puree from my LHBS. Question is how much? Going to add it to the secondary but don't know much to add? All 3 lbs? And my process will be adding the puree to the secondary? Normally I don't secondary a wheat beer. What about adding the puree and bottling/kegging?Thanks all! Brew strong!

#2 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:36 AM

I would add the whole can. Keep in mind the beer will ferment more, so you'll want to wait until it's done before bottling/kegging.You can add the fruit to the primary or secondary, doesn't really matter. If you do add it to the primary however, I would wait until the beer is about 2/3 done, so high krausen doesn't drive off too much fruit character.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54175 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 10:42 AM

Depending on what you want, you might consider mashing a little higher because the secondary fermentation of the fruit suagrs can dry out the beer sometimes. I have had this issue before where the secondary slowly bubbles for weeks. I just had some of the local brewers over last weekend and one of the guys had a raspberry-bourbon stout... he grew the raspberries in his backyard and froze 1½ pounds of them, then thawed them, blended them and added that to the secondary with some bourbon. We were all surprised how well the fruit came through because 1½ pounds seems pretty light to me. I just added a few paragraphs to my GENERAL BREWING INFO page describing his technique and what I have planned along the same lines with a raspberry cream ale. Good luck Fruitman!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users