4 replies to this topic

#1 54BelAir

54BelAir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:09 AM

I am currently using One Step to sanitize. I noticed that John Palmer lists Oxy Clean as a percarbonate, would this work as a sanitizer? It would be a lot cheaper than than One Step at my LHBS. Is there anything you all like better than One Step? Maybe PBW?

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:49 AM

I am currently using One Step to sanitize. I noticed that John Palmer lists Oxy Clean as a percarbonate, would this work as a sanitizer? It would be a lot cheaper than than One Step at my LHBS. Is there anything you all like better than One Step? Maybe PBW?

I use Oxiclean and PBW both for cleaning. Oxiclean for day to day stuff, PBW for really critical cleaning. I've done some basic tests that proved to me that PBW really does work better than Oxiclean. I've also tested Oxiclean's ability to sanitize and it seems to do it. That said, I don't count on it. I'd rather use StarSan and be certain.

#3 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25632 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 16 December 2009 - 04:19 PM

I know PBW will strip the Teflon off a pan. If it can do that, what chance does a germ's cell wall have against a such solution? (PBW is not marketed as a sanitizer, I do not say anybody should rely on PBW alone)The next problem is that PBW (or Oxylclean) needs to be rinsed. So you rinse it with tap water.You should not count on your tap water to be containment free. I rinse with tap water and then I give it a proper exposure to StarSan or Iodophore to sanitize against my rinse water.Granted, this is a suspenders and belt approach.As far as other percarbontes are concerned, is it labeled as a no rinse sanitizer?zymot

#4 54BelAir

54BelAir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 16 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

One step is listed a no rinse, but I was not crazy about the slimy soapy feel, it seemed like it needed to be rinsed. I picked up StarSan tonight. I think I will like it better. Plus it seems to work for a lot of folks here.

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47999 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:08 PM

Though Oxyclean's basic chemical is sodium percarbonate, it also has other stuff like surfactants and fragrance. (Less if you get the 'Free' variant.) I wouldn't trust it.OTOH, you can buy pure sodium percarbonate in bulk that you can use for sanitizing if you want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users