Photo
- - - - -

How much oxygen do you pump into your wort?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

For people pumping pure O2: for 5 gallons of wort what kind of flow rate and length of time are you pushing oxygen into the wort? I was thinking of running at 3LPMs for a little over a minute.Other related questions: do you move the stone around while oxygenating? any other tips to encourage efficient use of my oxygen?

#2 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:48 AM

I turn it on until I just see bubbles and leave it on for 60 seconds. If you are brewing a big beer you can re-oxygenate 4 hours later.

#3 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:54 AM

On the old board we had a thread going for awhile where there was a lot of experimentation going on. Someone (Ithink one of the KC guys)bought an O2 meter and meausred the actual absorption and tested at different rates. From what I can remember, the optimal time and rate is 45 seconds and at the lowest your regulator will allow a continuous flow. That is what I have taken from it, and what I do each time. Big beers I run it for 60 seconds. I basically slowly open the regulator until I see flow, then back it down so the bubbles are at their least- but still steady. I then start my countdown, remove after 60 seconds, and drop the wand into fermenter #2, when that is filled, repeat.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:02 AM

So I take it none of you guys have a way to measure LPM?

#5 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

So I take it none of you guys have a way to measure LPM?

I have an old O2 reg. from a home medical place. I have it set to the lowest setting.I have the stone in a bath of Iodaphore or starsan and on just a few. min. prior to end of Boil. at Flame out I start the cooling process and about half way through the transferI put the stone down in the wort and turn on. once transfer is complete you should have a huge head of Foam. this whole process only takes about a min. or two.that should be enough O2 to make even Rip van yeasty very happy. it's like yeast nip.also. I had a brew Friend tell me to use a drop or less of olive oil just before yeast pitch. not quite sure what it does for the process but I have done both ways the olive oil does speed up the process.any one else do this. Sorry i digress.Cheers. ;)

#6 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9174 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:28 AM

I let the O2 run at the lowest level at which I can barely see bubbles breaking the surface, for roughly 30-60 seconds depending on the SG. I do 'stir' the stone around on the bottom.

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:02 PM

I also go for about 30-60 seconds on low. I read somewhere that you don't want the wort bubbling like crazy... just some light waves on the top of the wort. My airstone is connected to a plastic hose, not a rigid cane so I just try to get the stone down to the bottom of the primary and go. I'll usually go a little longer (60 secs?) for yeast that is in its first run (yeast from a starter) and shorter (30 secs?) for a slurry that has been harvested. Cheers.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 01:16 PM

I also go for about 30-60 seconds on low. I read somewhere that you don't want the wort bubbling like crazy... just some light waves on the top of the wort. My airstone is connected to a plastic hose, not a rigid cane so I just try to get the stone down to the bottom of the primary and go. I'll usually go a little longer (60 secs?) for yeast that is in its first run (yeast from a starter) and shorter (30 secs?) for a slurry that has been harvested. Cheers.

well - since my regulator controls flow in LPM I'll try to see what this point is and I'll post back so that people can have some idea what a good LPM would be. JK recommended 3.5LPM to me at some point but I don't think my regulator has 1/2 LMP increments after 2 or 3 LPM.

#9 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9174 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:18 PM

mine is marked in lpm also, it's in the lower 3/rd of the range to barely break the surface. I hear the regulator hissing and see nothing, then usually a slight bit more than that.

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64116 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:45 PM

I don't have a flow meter, I set my regulator at the flow rate where I first see movement on the surface, then I oxygenate in two 60second bursts for 11 gallons.

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:22 AM

I don't have a flow meter, I set my regulator at the flow rate where I first see movement on the surface, then I oxygenate in two 60second bursts for 11 gallons.

so I'm feeling pretty gangster with my flow meter regulator. you guys should check it out - it's on ebay for ~$22 shipped and it's made to fit industrial (welding) style tanks. the best of both worlds!

#12 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9735 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 17 December 2009 - 04:53 AM

I have one like that. I go with a setting somewhere between 2 and 3 lpm. As for timing, I go with 30-60 seconds depending on gravity. I time it precisely by humming the final jeopardy tune. Yes, I am an uber-dork. Thanks for asking.

#13 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64116 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:42 AM

well - since my regulator controls flow in LPM I'll try to see what this point is and I'll post back so that people can have some idea what a good LPM would be. JK recommended 3.5LPM to me at some point but I don't think my regulator has 1/2 LMP increments after 2 or 3 LPM.

I got that number from Wyeast. They did some experimentation with oxygenating and they found that 3 or 3.5 (can't remember which) LPM for 60 senconds in 5 gallons would give O2 saturation in the wort..and I'm pretty sure they were using a stopwatch to time it, not a game show jingle. :devil: :D

Edited by JKoravos, 17 December 2009 - 09:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users