#1 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:42 PM

Well I finally brewed and I couldn't find the frakin' thread.Does anybody around here brew anymore? :devil:Unemployment does have one slight advantage.When the weather is great (we has a spectacular 48°F day today) you can brew whenever you want.That is unless you have a job interview that day.But that hasn't been the case lately (see the "How's that hope and change working out for ya' dept"). :unsure:So I brewed 25 gal of Morehouse's Black Cat.And I also made 10 gal of seltzer water.I was thinking about cost savings on brewing and how we all say it isn't important.A bottle of Black Cat will set you back $5 the last time I bought one. Now IIRC it's a pint, but there's only 20 in a case.Volumetrically the case is the about the same. So At 20*5 that's $100 a case say -10% yields $90 case price.I'm guessing I've 10 cases here. That's $900 worth of beer! :blink:The best part is this was a year end brew. I had all the grain and only had to buy hops!How'd the rest of you guys brew weekends go?

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:45 PM

Well I finally brewed and I couldn't find the frakin' thread.Does anybody around here brew anymore? :devil:Unemployment does have one slight advantage.When the weather is great (we has a spectacular 48°F day today) you can brew whenever you want.That is unless you have a job interview that day.But that hasn't been the case lately (see the "How's that hope and change working out for ya' dept"). :unsure:So I brewed 25 gal of Morehouse's Black Cat.And I also made 10 gal of seltzer water.I was thinking about cost savings on brewing and how we all say it isn't important.A bottle of Black Cat will set you back $5 the last time I bought one. Now IIRC it's a pint, but there's only 20 in a case.Volumetrically the case is the about the same. So At 20*5 that's $100 a case say -10% yields $90 case price.I'm guessing I've 10 cases here. That's $900 worth of beer! :blink:The best part is this was a year end brew. I had all the grain and only had to buy hops!How'd the rest of you guys brew weekends go?

sorry to hear about the hard times with the job search - no brewing this weekend, ESB next weekend!

#3 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10742 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:49 PM

I should be down stairs weighing out grains for an all columbus IPA that I'll be brewing tomorrow night. I took wednesday off to kill some vacation time and time for a mid-week brew.

#4 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

I haven't brewed in a couple of weeks, but I bottled a Lagered Cream Ale today. My next move is some weekday brewing of my house American Rye, Wicked good stuff!

#5 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:12 PM

The 24 gallon boys (SBL members Vince the X, Wilson the 3rd, & yours truly) 21 gal American Brown & was able to get 5 gal mild on the final runnings.

#6 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33969 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:20 PM

i bottled. does that count?

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:43 PM

nope, buy some kegs j/kPosted Image I hope I can get one in before Christmas. Missed some brewing/homebrew drinking time the last 4-5 weeks but the supply still looks OK.

#8 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:49 PM

wanted to yesterday but just didnt have it in me...so probably an after work brew one day this week...got the 2112 in the starter, weigh out my NB hops for a Cali Common tonight.

#9 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:54 PM

I walked by my fermenter a couple of times and looked at the bag with the priming sugar I bought... but that's about it. I spent Saturday running errands and we went to a ghey choir that night in San Jose... no really, when we moved out to the Bay Area, my wife found out that the kid from across the street when she was growing up lives out here and recently was named Director of the Silicon Valley Gay Mens Choir... So start crackin the jokes ya'll. I'm lobbing a softball at ya. Sunday, the Tax Deduction and I wrapped gifts for SWMBO. I'm hoping maybe I can brew this weekend, but it will require a little bit of garage cleaning first.

#10 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:45 PM

I brewed an experimental batch this past saturday, fermentation has slowed now. Maybe there is something about this darker brew in winter thing. My stout i have on tap has been a hit (which surprised me).Maybe i will make it again.

#11 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:44 PM

If you have converted (or in the process of converting) sugars to alcohol, or had thoughts or regrets thereof, you can post in this thread.So toonces, yer definitely in! Physical containers are irrelevant. :blink:Actually, this is probably the last brew of the year for me. Yup, goin' out makin' 900 bucks of suds.My kind of day. PTL!As I'm typing this, just for the record, I'm sucking back a glass of my 16 year old ginger mead.

#12 passlaku

passlaku

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationFlorence Alabama

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

Brewed an American Wheat.

#13 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25383 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:48 AM

I brewed a biggish american stout using some certain amount of columbus hops right at the end, bottled an embuggified saison, and moved a Bedford Bitter out of the fermentation chamber and into position to get kegged. I think tonight I will keg it.

#14 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:20 AM

Dusseldorf Alt. 1.056 and 50ish IBUs of Spalt.

#15 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:35 AM

Brewed two batches on Saturday. First I did a batch of my Sneaky Big Blonde Ale (1056), it so kindly refers to my sis in law's large ho-hahs! After that I brewed a batch of my Moyie River Amber Ale (1098). Really looking forward to these because I'm fermenting the SBBA at 63 degrees so expecting a very smooth, clear beer. With the MRAA, I hopped with NB, Cascade, Cascade, and Centennial...shooting for 44 IBU's. I'm fermenting about 68 so hoping for almost an ESB like beer with a nice hop profile. The MRAA is about done after only three days in the primary....whew!

#16 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10742 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:51 PM

Worked the afternoon from home and mashed in at 3:30. The sparge water will be at temp in 10 minutes when the work day ends. Making a simple APA with Centennial hops. It was always a local favorite here. Nothing fancy but a good solid beer. Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users