#1 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:19 PM

And what I realized was that I didn't need to. Haha. These things are amazing. I know I should have done this earlier, but I've always been too lazy until recently when four out of the six kegs went empty within a week or so of each other. I took the faucets off, put them in PBW, and took out the shuttle to examine the innards and just clean off the outside for the most part.I have both ventmatic and perlick, and they both are immaculate still.I doubt I will ever tear these down again, and just flush cleaner through them when I feel like it.Something I did notice though, was that my shanks are all corroded, and my next investment for my kegerator will be stainless shanks and tail pieces. I will then transfer my current shanks to one of my jockey boxes.This is definitely a testament to the value of the forward sealing faucets, they have not let me down yet. I have also bought the 8mm spouts for the VM and the Perlick as well, and it is working quite well for me, and I have no hollow pour.Just thought I'd give my updated experiences with the faucets after a few years. How have your experiences been over the years?

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:12 PM

And what I realized was that I didn't need to. Haha. These things are amazing. I know I should have done this earlier, but I've always been too lazy until recently when four out of the six kegs went empty within a week or so of each other. I took the faucets off, put them in PBW, and took out the shuttle to examine the innards and just clean off the outside for the most part.I have both ventmatic and perlick, and they both are immaculate still.I doubt I will ever tear these down again, and just flush cleaner through them when I feel like it.Something I did notice though, was that my shanks are all corroded, and my next investment for my kegerator will be stainless shanks and tail pieces. I will then transfer my current shanks to one of my jockey boxes.This is definitely a testament to the value of the forward sealing faucets, they have not let me down yet. I have also bought the 8mm spouts for the VM and the Perlick as well, and it is working quite well for me, and I have no hollow pour.Just thought I'd give my updated experiences with the faucets after a few years. How have your experiences been over the years?

mine don't corrode but there is definitely a little bit of buildup in there. I break mine down after every keg blows and there is always a little something to clean.

#3 xd_haze

xd_haze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:15 PM

mine don't corrode but there is definitely a little bit of buildup in there. I break mine down after every keg blows and there is always a little something to clean.

It probably depends on your cleaning regiment. I've been using a hand pump to run hot PBW equivalent through the lines at a decent rate. It seems to get it pretty clean, without tearing them down.mike

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:16 PM

It probably depends on your cleaning regiment. I've been using a hand pump to run hot PBW equivalent through the lines at a decent rate. It seems to get it pretty clean, without tearing them down.mike

I use hot oxiclean but not with a lot of pressure (just gravity).

#5 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:38 PM

In the future, I will just pump hot PBW through the lines and let them soak. Honestly, I will probably only do that once a year at most, considering how good they were after four years of doing nothing.

#6 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:48 PM

... Something I did notice though, was that my shanks are all corroded, ...

Yep, same for me. Nickel plate over brass shanks. The Nickel is long gone, hope it isn't cancerous. :blink:SS is just so expensive, but obviously worth the cost.

#7 Marmot

Marmot

Advanced "Member"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4565 posts
  • LocationI am definitely not Weeper

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:13 AM

A couple weeks ago I tore apart two of my Perlick faucets. It has been a couple of years since I have maintenanced them. Due to travel for work, my faucets have routinely sat idle repeatedly for several weeks at a time. No grime or build-up. I did have issue removing a collar for one shank and faucet. My wrench doesn't fit on this particular collar. I ended up putting it in the bench vice to break it loose. :blink: I couldn't imagine a kegerator with the old school faucets being gummed up every couple of days.Marmot

#8 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:48 PM

Do any of you know how to tell if a shank is stainless or chrome plated brass, just by looking at it?If I purchase new shanks, I don't want to find out a year down the road that I was actually sent chrome plated brass by accident.

#9 Breakpoint

Breakpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationSW MI

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:48 PM

yeah, i don't really tear mine apart to clean out, but after each keg i run some homemade PBW through the lines followed by star san and that seems to keep things clean.i read somewhere that you shouldn't put hot water through the beer lines because it can cause warping of them (in turn leads to increase foam production). anyone ever use these kleen plugs?

#10 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:11 PM

yeah, i don't really tear mine apart to clean out, but after each keg i run some homemade PBW through the lines followed by star san and that seems to keep things clean.i read somewhere that you shouldn't put hot water through the beer lines because it can cause warping of them (in turn leads to increase foam production). anyone ever use these kleen plugs?

I wish to use them when i get more of my system up an running.They sure sound good .I can't wait to purchase more perlick taps . Well worth the money.

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:44 AM

I think my hot tap water is about 130F. I really doubt this is enough to warp beer lines since I'm apply pretty much no pressure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users