28 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:26 AM

So I made a starter on Saturday that I'll be using this upcoming Saturday in an ESB. The starter smelled nice and had some definite fruity notes to it. I was concerned that the yeast would go nuts and foam out the top of my flask (this yeast is referred to as a "true top cropping yeast") but it did not. It probably had about 2" of foam on it with a good amount of yeast clumps in it.I'll be updating this thread as I use the yeast in the ESB and then a couple weeks after that an Old Ale.

#2 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14763 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:31 AM

So I made a starter on Saturday that I'll be using this upcoming Saturday in an ESB. The starter smelled nice and had some definite fruity notes to it. I was concerned that the yeast would go nuts and foam out the top of my flask (this yeast is referred to as a "true top cropping yeast") but it did not. It probably had about 2" of foam on it with a good amount of yeast clumps in it.I'll be updating this thread as I use the yeast in the ESB and then a couple weeks after that an Old Ale.

I made a starter a few weeks ago for this strain as well. Never got the chance to brew, but hope to this week/weekend. Looking forward to using it.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:33 AM

I made a starter a few weeks ago for this strain as well. Never got the chance to brew, but hope to this week/weekend. Looking forward to using it.

yes - based on the description and the smells coming out of the starter I think it will be a nice yeast. I've grown kind of meh about S-04 so it will be nice to have something else for my English ales.

#4 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:31 PM

I have it on good authority that this strain is/has been the house strain at Flossmoor Station, and I like their beers quite a bit.

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:49 PM

I have it on good authority that this strain is/has been the house strain at Flossmoor Station, and I like their beers quite a bit.

that's a good sign - I wonder if a lot of breweries use an English strain as their house strain (outside of England).

#6 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14763 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:31 PM

that's a good sign - I wonder if a lot of breweries use an English strain as their house strain (outside of England).

Yes, they do. I was quite surprised in listening to 'Can You Brew It' to find out how many do. Lagunitas, Big Sky (Moose Drool), and Deschutes all claim to use 1968. As mentioned, Flossmoor Station uses 1318 (reportedly the Boddington's strain). Also, Stone uses a proprietary strain with English properties, believed to be similar to WLP007.I know of two small local breweries here in the Raleigh area that use English strains as well.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:58 PM

I'm a little bit nervous about the temps being a little low in my house for this yeast. I may not chill the wort quite as much as I normally do to make sure this thing ferments out...

#8 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:05 PM

I'm a little bit nervous about the temps being a little low in my house for this yeast. I may not chill the wort quite as much as I normally do to make sure this thing ferments out...

I don't think I would recommend doing that. The yeast will get used to that warmer temp, and when the activity of fermentation starts to slow down and the heat drops, the yeast will go dorment, leaving behind fermetables. you should pick a temp, and keep it there. if anything wrap a towel around it to try and keep some heat in.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:11 PM

I don't think I would recommend doing that. The yeast will get used to that warmer temp, and when the activity of fermentation starts to slow down and the heat drops, the yeast will go dorment, leaving behind fermetables. you should pick a temp, and keep it there. if anything wrap a towel around it to try and keep some heat in.

you have to understand that 60F isn't an uncommon pitching temperature for me so warmer would be something like 66-67F :blink:

#10 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:15 PM

you have to understand that 60F isn't an uncommon pitching temperature for me so warmer would be something like 66-67F :blink:

Ah, that doesn't sound crazy at all. But I would still be a little worried about dropping the beer from 68 to 60 durring fermentation. I personally would want to keep the temp even, especially durring the end of fermentation. YMMV

#11 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:20 PM

Ah, that doesn't sound crazy at all. But I would still be a little worried about dropping the beer from 68 to 60 durring fermentation. I personally would want to keep the temp even, especially durring the end of fermentation. YMMV

well my house temp is 60-65F depending on the time of day so I'd think the yeast fermenting would be enough to keep temps up. I could put a towel around the fermenter to help trap a little heat though.

#12 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:28 PM

Yes, they do. I was quite surprised in listening to 'Can You Brew It' to find out how many do. Lagunitas, Big Sky (Moose Drool), and Deschutes all claim to use 1968. As mentioned, Flossmoor Station uses 1318 (reportedly the Boddington's strain). Also, Stone uses a proprietary strain with English properties, believed to be similar to WLP007.I know of two small local breweries here in the Raleigh area that use English strains as well.

I can confirm that Big Sky uses 1968, we use an English, American, Kolsch, Hefe and Lager strains in our year-round rotation at Schlafly. As I've stated before, I use WL007 at MBC.

#13 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

I can confirm that Big Sky uses 1968, we use an English, American, Kolsch, Hefe and Lager strains in our year-round rotation at Schlafly. As I've stated before, I use WL007 at MBC.

I wouldn't expect 1968 to make a great house strain with it's low attenuation. I would think this would limit it to the point of not being a good "general purpose" yeast.

#14 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25646 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:36 PM

One of my favorite yeasts. Great for Bitters, English Pale Ales or English IPA. I would think it would make a great porter or a stout.Wyeast does not exagerate calling 1318 a "true top cropper." I have used it a few times and the first time I had yeast (NO, not kreausen) but yeast slurry coming up out of my bubbler. It is a good, hard working yeast, I would not be afraid to use down into 60 deg F.Be prepared and get yourself some of the easiest to harvest yeast there is. The top of the beer should have a good thick layer of yeast, just waiting for you scoop up.zymot

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:13 AM

One of my favorite yeasts. Great for Bitters, English Pale Ales or English IPA. I would think it would make a great porter or a stout.Wyeast does not exagerate calling 1318 a "true top cropper." I have used it a few times and the first time I had yeast (NO, not kreausen) but yeast slurry coming up out of my bubbler. It is a good, hard working yeast, I would not be afraid to use down into 60 deg F.Be prepared and get yourself some of the easiest to harvest yeast there is. The top of the beer should have a good thick layer of yeast, just waiting for you scoop up.zymot

does it stick around even after fermentation is done? is this yeast that's hanging out on top really good to save b/c I'm probably going to make my old ale whenever my ESB is done fermenting with this yeast.

#16 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25646 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:47 AM

does it stick around even after fermentation is done? is this yeast that's hanging out on top really good to save b/c I'm probably going to make my old ale whenever my ESB is done fermenting with this yeast.

To be honest, I do not remember exactly what it does. I am thinking it forms a yeast cap that you can skim off or poke down into the beer. I remember my bubbler was a slow motion fountain of yeast, filled and oozing with yeast slurry. Your results may vary.I assume that the yeast collected during the height of fermentation, would some very active and healthy yeast and prime for harvesting. Maybe somebody with better knowledge about yeast life cycle can comment.What ever you do, use a blow-off tube, as big as you can.zymot

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:52 AM

What ever you do, use a blow-off tube, as big as you can.zymot

First thing is I'm going to use my largest primary bucket.I don't have a huge blow off tube but I can jam one in the hole where I usually have the airlock.

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:09 AM

So the most vigourous part of primary fermentation is done. I used my largest primary bucket (7.5 gal I think) with about 6 gallons of stuff in it and the foam didn't make it to the top. It held around 66F until yesterday when the fermentation slowed down so now it's sitting around 63F.

#19 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:17 AM

So the most vigourous part of primary fermentation is done. I used my largest primary bucket (7.5 gal I think) with about 6 gallons of stuff in it and the foam didn't make it to the top. It held around 66F until yesterday when the fermentation slowed down so now it's sitting around 63F.

Never brewed with 1318 but I have seen the temp of my beers drop like yours did as fermentation slowed down and stopped. I think it proves that fermentation is an exothermic action. Good to hear the fermentation has gone well. I might this one a try at some point too.

#20 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:29 AM

Never brewed with 1318 but I have seen the temp of my beers drop like yours did as fermentation slowed down and stopped. I think it proves that fermentation is an exothermic action. Good to hear the fermentation has gone well. I might this one a try at some point too.

yeah - it was def staying above ambient temps. I was mostly posting b/c someone had mentioned that I would need a blowoff tube and all of that but the foam never made it to the top of the bucket. It could be b/c it was on the low end of the temperature range and also b/c I had the beer in a slightly oversized bucket (more headspace).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users