#1 Breakpoint

Breakpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationSW MI

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:37 AM

I'm working on motorizing my grain mill and was wondering if anyone had any motor recommendations. I've looked for the beefy bodine motor, but can't find it at the links from this site: https://www.homebrew...e05010501.shtml and my searching the intertubes hasn't been successful. I'd like to avoid the pulley system and just have a direct drive gear motor.So, give me your thoughts (and preferably a site where I can find one).Thanks!

#2 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8899 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:32 PM

No idea where to find one now, but I give a big +1 to a gear motor. Good luck! I've actually got a spare in my garage (never got to that project), but you're a little too far away to pick it up. :smilielol:

#3 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28184 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:43 PM

I haven't hooked it up yet...but I salvaged a 1/2hp, variable speed DC motor out of an older style treadmill. I grabbed the analog slide speed control too. If you happen apon a treadmill and it's a digital readout...you can buy an aftermarket speedpot from radio shack or an electronic parts store.MB

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:22 PM

The Beefy Bodine was a great find. I guess some abandoned lot got discovered and sold through sciplus.com or one of those. I was lucky to get one. Any semi good deal is well worth it IMO. I'm well past paying off the mill and motor thanks to our LBG bulk grain buys. Yeah, spider couplings are great - what I use.I've looked recently and haven't seen much for buy and run with it motors lately.

#5 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13057 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:13 PM

I know you said you prefer a direct drive, but the motor on this mill cart came from an old washing machine. Cost $10. Couple of sheaves and minus the mill itself, have about $50 in this. Works really good. Sheaves were sized for ~270 rpm.Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:17 PM

Got a 1/2 hp cap start 1725rpm at Harbor freight for $60. It has been crunching up LBG grain like crazy. 1.75" - 12" sheaves spins at 256rpm. The motor is Chinese, but the build quality is nice and it is very quite.

#7 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:58 PM

heres a couple of picsPosted ImagePosted Image

#8 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 13 December 2009 - 06:06 PM

heres a couple of picsPosted ImagePosted Image

Damn, I lost my glasses. Magnifying glasses that is. :)

#9 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 13 December 2009 - 06:08 PM

Damn, seemed to have forgot how to upload a pic...

#10 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9734 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:00 AM

I also cant really add anything to the direct drive discussion because I went the belt and pulley route. One of the things I like best about belt and pulley where the belt is tensioned by the weight of the motor (1/2 HP Craftsman I had laying around) is that if the mill were to bind for any reason, the worst that happens is the belt gets chewed/burned up a little.

#11 Marmot

Marmot

Advanced "Member"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4565 posts
  • LocationI am definitely not Weeper

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:19 AM

The Beefy Bodine was a great find. I guess some abandoned lot got discovered and sold through sciplus.com or one of those. I was lucky to get one.

I think I got one of the last Beefy Bodines five years ago or so as they weren't for sale much longer after I purchased mine. I am glad I bought when I did so I didn't have to struggle with cobbling something together.Break - good luck on finding a motor!Marmot

#12 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:05 AM

I was wanting to find a direct drive motor as well. My Barley Crusher said to NOT use pulleys with it, I only assume because of the odd pull that would be put on the bushings or something. So I have been thinking about direct drive which would be like a drill.

#13 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:32 PM

I don't know if this one has enough torque or not. And the speed is about half of what I have. When I bought the bodine I really didn't research it since some were already using it successfully and they were going to sell out fast......Anyway My link

#14 Breakpoint

Breakpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationSW MI

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:29 PM

I don't know if this one has enough torque or not. And the speed is about half of what I have. When I bought the bodine I really didn't research it since some were already using it successfully and they were going to sell out fast......Anyway My link

yeah, that looks like a good motor - in other words, the price is right - but i don't know how that'll hold up. not exceptionally knowledgeable (i know absolutely nothing) about motors, but it appears like the RPMs are lower than most people who have DIY a direct drive motor to a grain mill. in particular, this guy's site says 150 RPMs would be ideal.thanks for all the input. i'll keep searching. grainger had a bunch of geared motors, but when i looked at something close in specs to the bodine, they were like $600 and i'm trying to do this on the cheap.

#15 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:04 PM

I sure do feel that pulleys are a much safer way (at least for the mill), to drive. If worried about tension on the mill try using pillow blocks. I'll try again at posting, a little larger this time...Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:12 PM

Hey I figured how to post LARGE!The second pic of the pillow blocks takes all the torque off the mill rollers. This way if some foreign material should happen to get in you hopper (ie, a bolt or rock, etc) the pulley will lock and the belt will spin, as opposed to the alternative...

#17 Breakpoint

Breakpoint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationSW MI

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:00 PM

so, i found this motor and i think it might work. any comments/opinions?

#18 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9734 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:04 AM

Hey I figured how to post LARGE!The second pic of the pillow blocks takes all the torque off the mill rollers. This way if some foreign material should happen to get in you hopper (ie, a bolt or rock, etc) the pulley will lock and the belt will spin, as opposed to the alternative...

That is a great idea. I have the pulley right on the mill shaft. It works just fine except you have to have the bucket right up against the pulley to catch all of the grain coming out of the mill. That setup gives some extra lateral room. Nice.

#19 xd_haze

xd_haze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:39 AM

Pillow blocks add to the cost, but it is definitely the right way to do it.mike

#20 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:46 AM

Pillow blocks add to the cost, but it is definitely the right way to do it.mike

IMHO,That would be two pillow blocks and a flex coupling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users