60 replies to this topic

#41 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:01 PM

They should both definitely be the same. If they are different, they replaced it with an incorrect one, and it happens to work for now. Figure out what kind of keg it is, and replace the incorrect poppet with the correct style.Also, I have bought pure lye from Ace Hardware, it is in the plumbing section for removing clogged drains.Remember, if you use caustic, always add the lye to the water, not the other way around.And yes, there is a rubber gasket on the poppet, in addition to any plastic and stainless.

Are there multiple firestone types of poppets? How do I figure out which kind I need?

#42 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:11 PM

After this experience I'm not sure I'll be ordering non-refurbed kegs again. I've spent a large portion of my free time since Thursday cleaning these 2 kegs. One of them wasn't too bad and it cleaned up to look just as nice as reconditioned kegs I've received in the past from B3 and from Midwest. The other however pretty much sucks:1. filthy and leaking2. full of god knows what3. the outside rubber parts are shedding (so far I've exposed the rubber to oxiclean, TSP, acetone and rubbing alcohol and it continues to shed)4. I now have to figure out what kind of poppets I have and order moreAt what point should I expect some kind of compensation or support for B3 here? Their reconditioned kegs are simply cleaned and the rubber is replaced so why should I have to do anything more than this?

#43 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:13 PM

On the outside of the keg, the manufacturer and series of the keg should be stamped. You may have to look hard considering the condition of the keg.Also, on the one that doesn't have the cornelius style poppet, does the poppet stick inside the post? If it does, I tend to think it is a firestone keg.

#44 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:16 PM

On the outside of the keg, the manufacturer and series of the keg should be stamped. You may have to look hard considering the condition of the keg.Also, on the one that doesn't have the cornelius style poppet, does the poppet stick inside the post? If it does, I tend to think it is a firestone keg.

it appears to be a firestone challenger v1edit or maybe it's VI?

#45 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:05 PM

it appears to be a firestone challenger v1edit or maybe it's VI?

Yup that's a Challenger VI. Here's a link to what you need: Challenger VI poppets

#46 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:46 AM

Yup that's a Challenger VI. Here's a link to what you need: Challenger VI poppets

so it seems like one of the poppets is correct. so since I'm going to order some replacement parts is it worth it to order some other back up parts for my other 4 cornelius kegs? do posts need to be replaced very often? how about the pressure relief valves? if yes on the pressure relief valves are all pressure relief valves the same?

#47 shaggaroo

shaggaroo

Comptroller of Hot Flashes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1965 posts
  • LocationMiddle of Nowhere, NY

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:01 AM

I wish all pressure relief valves were the same but as I recall they cannot be interchanged... and at $2.50 a pop(pet) (couldn't resist) a couple spares might not be a bad idea.

#48 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:05 AM

I'm also going to order spare o-rings. Does anyone know what the shipping is like from McMaster-Carr? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to pay a higher per unit price from a homebrew store of if I should just order a million o-rings from mcmaster-carr and be a hero when one of my homebrewing buddies needs an o-ring :)

#49 xd_haze

xd_haze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:23 PM

I used to use the red devil and sun oxygen cleaner mix. I recently switched the sun oxygen cleaner part to cheap dishwasher powder. The stuff I use says it is sodium carbonate, sodium silicate and enzymes. It works well alone, but seems to work exponentially better when mixed with red devil 90. It is members mark brand automatic diswhasher detergent and it says compare to cascade. It does have a lemon scent that I wish it didn't have, but it seems to rinse very clean and I've not noticed any lingering flavor or aroma. Honestly, I have no idea why they scent that stuff, its not like you'd want your dishes to smell lemony fresh, either. mike

Yeah, that's what I got. The four pound pouch is the only way I've seen it. I've been using it with Sun Oxygen Cleaner.This mix doesn't have surfactants like PBW, but still works fine.

#50 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

I used to use the red devil and sun oxygen cleaner mix. I recently switched the sun oxygen cleaner part to cheap dishwasher powder. The stuff I use says it is sodium carbonate, sodium silicate and enzymes. It works well alone, but seems to work exponentially better when mixed with red devil 90. It is members mark brand automatic diswhasher detergent and it says compare to cascade. It does have a lemon scent that I wish it didn't have, but it seems to rinse very clean and I've not noticed any lingering flavor or aroma. Honestly, I have no idea why they scent that stuff, its not like you'd want your dishes to smell lemony fresh, either. mike

maybe it makes the exhaust from the dishwasher smell nicer :blink:

#51 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:51 PM

GODAMN DRUG WAR!!!This is so effing lame. Holy crap this pisses me off.MolBasser

FWIW I'm a memberhttps://www.leap.cc/cms/index.php

#52 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:16 AM

FWIW I'm a memberhttps://www.leap.cc/cms/index.php

are you the 5-0?

#53 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:14 AM

are you the 5-0?

nope. Last gig was covert LE though, if that means anything.[/threadjack]

#54 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:17 AM

nope. Last gig was covert LE though, if that means anything.[/threadjack]

LE? nope - doesn't mean a thing :blink:

#55 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:23 AM

LE? nope - doesn't mean a thing ;)

LE = Law Enforcement

#56 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:26 AM

LE = Law Enforcement

;)

#57 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:33 AM

I hear you on getting no B3 love with those kegs. My main brew partner recently bought 3 unfurbed kegs from B3 and it was a nightmare in that they all had different posts, etc. They were also nasty. I ordered one from NB once and it was fine, but a while back I decided I would only buy used kegs in person and never sight-unseen to avoid any issues. Maybe call B3 and explain the issue with the poppet to them and see what they say?

#58 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:03 AM

I hear you on getting no B3 love with those kegs. My main brew partner recently bought 3 unfurbed kegs from B3 and it was a nightmare in that they all had different posts, etc. They were also nasty. I ordered one from NB once and it was fine, but a while back I decided I would only buy used kegs in person and never sight-unseen to avoid any issues. Maybe call B3 and explain the issue with the poppet to them and see what they say?

says right on the B3 site that I might have to replace the poppets so I doubt I would get anywhere with that. buyer beware ;)

#59 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:22 PM

I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on a few more kegs. Zym, your experiences have convinced me that it will be worth it to spring for the reconditioned kegs.

#60 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:30 PM

I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on a few more kegs. Zym, your experiences have convinced me that it will be worth it to spring for the reconditioned kegs.

well - on this batch I was batting 0.500. I'd get a larger sample before deciding what to do depending on how much more the reconditioned ones cost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users