#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:29 PM

I used this for a Bitter and an ESB. Was thinking about going much stronger this time but don't feel like it. Would using this with American 2-row and C-hops for a session beer be a dumb idea? I was thinking maybe a Blonde. I don't use this yeast much. I could just make another Bitter again.

#2 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:43 PM

In the Pale Ale Rut thread, I mention that I was going to make a "British Blonde" of sorts. I made it today with UK Pale Malt, Styrian & Kent Goldings and 1099. It's bubbling away right now and I can't wait to try it. I think you should give it a try... call it an English Pale, an English Summer Ale or a British Blonde... I don't think you can go wrong. And imagine how freaking clear it will be! Cheers.

#3 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

Remember that 1984 Golden Ale and the HOPtimal APA?Yup...go for it.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:53 PM

Remember that 1984 Golden Ale and the HOPtimal APA?Yup...go for it.

Yeah, but the tight lipped head brewer there wouldn't tell me what yeast was used. :rolf: KL, that's a good thought too. My only UK malt for now is Halcyon Pale Malt. Never used it before so I guess that would let the base malt shine for what it's worth. Just thinking, gotta crush grains tomorrow night for a Thursday PM session if I'm going to brew in the next 10 days.

#5 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:57 PM

Blksabbath, Gary and I have had good results with Halcyon Pale Malt, I don't recall the Maltster...but it made some nice Barleywine, Optic has served us well, too.

#6 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:03 PM

Blksabbath, Gary and I have had good results with Halcyon Pale Malt, I don't recall the Maltster...but it made some nice Barleywine, Optic has served us well, too.

walks off still wondering what yeast it was - obviously not a family secret :rolf:

#7 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28455 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

I'm planning to use it with the JPA recipe in the near future.

#8 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

Thomas Fawcett?As for 1098, I've recently used it in two batches of special bitter. One using Jamil's recipe and the other using Kenlenard's. I'm going to be using it on a batch of impy stout next. I know it's not that attenuative but I like my impy stouts on the sweet side anyway. I'm hoping the shear quantity of yeast is going to gnaw through the RIS reasonbly well. I love the yeast in the bitters but I don't know how a paler version of that would work out.

#9 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:22 PM

Thomas Fawcett? .........I know it's not that attenuative but I like my impy stouts on the sweet side anyway. ..........

Mine's TF, just checked and.... got a half bag of TF Optic too....... Anyway, I was thinking with the attenuation a Blonde might be a good bet. Just wondering about an Am grain/hop bill and the yeast might not make a good mix. I remember a British RyePA that won't be brewed here again........

#10 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

Dan, just brew the daym thing :rolf:

#11 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

I did this once with 1028 too. I found a recipe for something called Landlord Pale Ale... but it was spring and I thought about making a "blonde" of sorts and then the thread on the GB about "English Summer Ales" started. I took the crystal out of the recipe (or reduced it) and fermented it low... like high 50s or low 60s. It was awesome. It came out so smooth you would swear it was a pilsner or something. Only the yeast had that English, bready profile to it. I agree with Andy... just brew it! Cheers.

#12 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:46 PM

Dan, just brew the daym thing :devil:

Consider me bitchslapped, this is what happens when I start planning a brewday.....I'll start heating strike water and figure it out from there - happy now ? :rolf:

#13 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:10 PM

Take a hint...it was the 1098 :rolf: Mtn...not that attenuative? I routinely get around 80% AA with that yeast.

#14 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:15 PM

Take a hint...it was the 1098 :rolf: Mtn...not that attenuative? I routinely get around 80% AA with that yeast.

Mash temp? I didn't take final gravities but it tastes like ~ 73-75% AA - mashing around 151df.And thanks for the guarded trade secrets - lol - still planning on heading your way on Fri.

Edited by dj in kc, 14 April 2009 - 06:17 PM.

#15 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

I'm brewing the third batch of Dubbel on Friday (first two today) and the first of three Homeward Browns on Friday...then off to the Taproom!

#16 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:27 PM

Take a hint...it was the 1098 :rolf:

Hey, *I* figured it out. Being a lot smarter than me, I figured your dad would too.

Mtn...not that attenuative? I routinely get around 80% AA with that yeast.

Good to know. Wyeast specs are around 75%. Do you do anything special to get that att? Based on this information, I'm wondering if my recipe might need to be adusted.

#17 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48002 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

Those English summer's are great. Mine is based on the one in Radical Brews and uses a little sugar to lighten it even more. I've always used S04/1098 for these.

#18 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:35 PM

I mash around where you do, pitch plenty of yeast, oxygenate and ferment around 68dF on average. The Rahr Pils and Pale malts I use have really high diastatic power, perhaps they yield a more fermentable wort. I also boil for 60 min and add some baker's yeast to the boil for nutrient.

#19 Alpha Male

Alpha Male

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCollinsville Il.

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:03 AM

Mash temp? I didn't take final gravities but it tastes like ~ 73-75% AA - mashing around 151df.And thanks for the guarded trade secrets - lol - still planning on heading your way on Fri.

You kinda gotta pop him upside the head to get an answer sometimes.Jeff

#20 NWPines

NWPines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEugene, OR

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:11 PM

DJ, 1098 is a fine yeast and should work well in a lighter American Pale or Blonde with C hops. Won't be as clean (and boring) as 1056, but in my opinion that's a good thing. 1098 is still very clean and neutral compared to most English yeasts, and you can definitely get attenuation around 80%.I actually know of a couple breweries that use 1098 almost exclusively.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users