Photo
- - - - -

So, I made my own Munich malt yesterday.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:57 AM

I haven't been impressed with my LHBS's domestic munich malt so I gave it a try using these guys technique.https://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Methods/Sanders/roasting.shtmlIt came out really nice. I had plenty of other grain to compare it to, and it seems to taste more like Belgian munich than domestic. Much sweeter and rich than the domestic I've tried. Looks like I got it at about 15LV--compared to munich 10 and C20.It didn't change the husk color but the kernel inside changed to a rust color slightly darker than my domestic munich 10.Gonna use this on my upcoming schwarzbeir.Anyone here roast their own grain?

#2 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64116 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:37 PM

Sounds interesting. Let us know how it turns out.

#3 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:30 PM

There are some folks here that make their own amber malt or brown malt. I've been more and more interested in this and so far have played around a little making amber malt. I hadn't even thought to try Munich but given the similarly poor selection at my LHBS and your results I may have to give it a shot. How much will you use in your shwarz, and maybe more importantly how much will it impact the flavor profile? I haven't brewed a schwarz but I would guess it's pretty malty and maybe a good vehicle for a lot of Munich. I would definitely be interested in trying this with a Maarzen or something.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54185 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:43 PM

So you took some Briess 2-row and roasted it in the oven at about 240° for 2 hours and ended up with Munich Light? Interesting. The other part of this that I have heard people discuss is allowing the grains to "de-gas" before brewing with them. I always find it good to de-gas before getting into bed, but that's a request from my wife :rolf: , otherwise I have no idea why grains need it. Someone suggested putting the grain into a paper bag for several days before cracking it and brewing with it. Sounds like a fun project and I'd be very interested to hear how your beer comes out.

#5 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:42 PM

There are some folks here that make their own amber malt or brown malt. I've been more and more interested in this and so far have played around a little making amber malt. I hadn't even thought to try Munich but given the similarly poor selection at my LHBS and your results I may have to give it a shot. How much will you use in your shwarz, and maybe more importantly how much will it impact the flavor profile? I haven't brewed a schwarz but I would guess it's pretty malty and maybe a good vehicle for a lot of Munich. I would definitely be interested in trying this with a Maarzen or something.

To Ken:I wet the malt, let it sit for an hour, then put it in pyrex cassarole dishes in the oven with a digital temp probe laying in the grain. Turned the oven up to 260 and stirred the grain every 15mins. or so until it reached 220F(took forever for the grain to reach temp). At that point I dropped the oven temp to 220F and started the timer. stirring every 15-20mins. for about 1 1/2hr. It's sitting in my MLT to de-gas, just in case it needs a release. :rolf: To JJ:My schwarz will get 5 lbs.munich, 5 lbs. pils. I had 2.4lbs so I made 2.6. This will definitely affect the flavor profile. My domestic munich tastes bland/cardboardy. This tastes more like some belgian munich I've used before.I hope it makes a terrific beer. Only one way to find out.I'm ramping up the temp on my pils now for a DC rest. May get to brew the schwarz this wkend.

#6 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:41 PM

I haven't been impressed with my LHBS's domestic munich malt so I gave it a try using these guys technique.https://oz.craftbrew.../roasting.shtmlIt came out really nice. I had plenty of other grain to compare it to, and it seems to taste more like Belgian munich than domestic. Much sweeter and rich than the domestic I've tried. Looks like I got it at about 15LV--compared to munich 10 and C20.It didn't change the husk color but the kernel inside changed to a rust color slightly darker than my domestic munich 10.Gonna use this on my upcoming schwarzbeir.Anyone here roast their own grain?

I have roasted at least 2lbs of grain for the last 4 batches I've made including my last lager. Took some 2-row and baked at 300 degrees for 15-20 and then I usually step it up to 350 for 10min. I've noticed any longer it starts to smell like over cooked popcorn. The lager I made is excellent as far as I can tell...I've never had a toasty munich helles before. I have only had some hydro samples of it,but it has been lagering for 2 months now.can't waitto keg soon :smilielol:Great link by the way....good info thanks!

#7 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:53 PM

No offence, but no, you didn't.You roasted some pale malt. That isn't munich.Not trying to be a dick, but you didn't make munich malt, you made roasted pale malt.MolBasser

#8 *_Guest_Matt C_*

*_Guest_Matt C_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:57 PM

FACE! :smilielol:

#9 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:13 PM

No, not "Face", it just isn't munich.I'm not trying to be a dick, but the flavors will be altogether different.MolBasser

#10 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:33 PM

No, not "Face", it just isn't munich.I'm not trying to be a dick, but the flavors will be altogether different.MolBasser

I wondered about the validity of the method. I was just going by what seemed like good info the link.So, how do the maltsters come up with munich? Is it a different grain altogether than regular 2-row?

#11 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

I think I answered my own question with the help of this link https://brewery.org/...K0996.htmlLooks like it's in the way that the initial drying and kilning temps are handled. So, sadly, no, I did not make Munich malt. :smilielol: Still tastes strikingly similar to the lb. of belgian munich I bought thursday to compare it to though. And it's still going in the beer.Thanks Mol, I appreciate the input. Learned something today.

#12 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:45 AM

Dude,You should be stoked in what you did! You wanted to get a new flavor from your malt and you made the effort to do it. That takes balls and effort. I applaud you for it. I have roasted 2 row myself.It just isn't munich. No biggie.Rock on, and brew dude! As a homebrewer, this sort of experimentation is awesome and should be respected.I hope your beer is epic.MolBasser

#13 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 15 December 2009 - 09:17 AM

I try to keep a Flat Ass Tired, Fat Tire Clone on hand. It requires roasting 2 lbs of Belgian Pale Malt at 350 for 20 mins or so. Works for me and adds a great biscuity flavor.

#14 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 15 December 2009 - 10:18 AM

I believe there is something in the Munich malting process that creates melanoidin which in turn gives it the rich malty flavor. Don't ask me how they do it though.

#15 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:26 PM

Don't ask me how they do it though.

For the production of high-kilned malts like Vienna, Munich and Aromatic, the initial temperature during the drying phase is higher (about 50C). Furthermore, the ventilation is considerably lower. As a result, the moisture content of the malt only drops to about 20% in the first 24 hours [DeClerck, p.197]. Typically, high-kilned malts take about twice as long to make as pale malts [Malting and Brewing Science, p.177]. Clearly there is a significant amount of enzyme loss in the production of high- kilned malts, but this higher temperature drying is important for the production of high levels of soluble sugars and amino acids which are later utilized in the production of melanoidins via Maillard reactions and Amadori rearrangements [Malting and Brewing Science, p.105]. It's these melanoidins that give high-kilned malts their colour and characteristic aroma. Great article! :sarcasm:

#16 Steve Urquell

Steve Urquell

Hot Loader

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3874 posts
  • LocationOzarks

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:50 PM

Well the malt I made into "pseudo-munich" is in the beer which is in my wine fridge fermenting happily. It's an improvement to a recipe that I've been working on and I have a pretty good baseline as to what this will add.I'll keep those who are interested updated on how it turns out.

#17 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 17 December 2009 - 09:06 PM

All of this gave me an interesting idea. I think I'll do a SMaSH with 100% home roasted pale malt just to see what the flavors are like. Any ideas on a hop to use?

#18 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:39 PM

All of this gave me an interesting idea. I think I'll do a SMaSH with 100% home roasted pale malt just to see what the flavors are like. Any ideas on a hop to use?

Either a noble your familiar with or any clean bittering hop.

#19 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:06 AM

Either a noble your familiar with or any clean bittering hop.

I do have a bunch of Magnum. Also Perle and Northern Brewer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users