#1 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:23 PM

I just made a barley wine and not having brewed recently I had to build up one heck of a starter. This got me thinking about making a stir plate again, and I think I'm ready to tackle this project.I need some help though, in the form of good ideas.I was thinking of getting a small computer fan like this:https://www.radiosha...amp;tab=summaryand gluing some rare earth magnets on it.The problem is, I don't know how to power the fan once I get to this point.

#2 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10550 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

I have made a few using a old cell phone charger adapter for the power.

#3 Darterboy

Darterboy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1955 posts
  • LocationVestavia Hills, Alabama

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:27 PM

A world of information at your fingertips!

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

Great Timing on this posting and link to a Google search. I am tossing around the idea of building a stir plate myself too. I am excited about it too.

#5 cbbrown40

cbbrown40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHelendale, Ca

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:06 PM

I have made a few using a old cell phone charger adapter for the power.

I have made several the same way. Always used hard drive magnets glued to the fan

#6 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

Guess I got lucky, an old wall wort and the rheostat never gets used except at full bore. HD magnets and a 1 1/8" stirbar in a Big Lots glass vase. Works like a champ here....I did put in a toggle switch and LED because all the cool kids do it.......And still haven't put a knob on the POT because I forgot to get one...

Edited by dj in kc, 14 April 2009 - 06:02 PM.

#7 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25741 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:47 PM

There are many paths to success on this project. Here is how I got my stirplate up and running.Posted ImagePosted ImageOne of the great topics of debate is the best way to vary the speed of your fan. If you have a modicum of basic electronics and can operate a soldering iron, this is a path to success.Posted ImageDownload large version of above here.Here is a link to that other board with information on rheostat speed controls.And some more discussion.zymot

#8 LBG Bill

LBG Bill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:48 PM

Here's some pics of my DYI stir plate I made back in 2007.Details are at the LBG site.Stir Plate on LBG

#9 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:40 PM

Zymots's version is the one I used.

#10 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:05 AM

Nice documentation Zymot!

#11 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:55 AM

I went with this setup:https://davidtrumbel.../StirPlate.htmlI'm waiting on my magnets and stir bars, but I wired up the fan last night.If I wasn't so impatient I would probably have used the sweet zymot setup.

#12 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25741 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:07 AM

The only thing it has to do is stir your starter.If you get it to do that, you are gold.Then go brew good beer.zymot

#13 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:55 PM

Everything went smoothly until I tried to stir something. The stir bar doesn't catch and kind of chases the fan as opposed to rotating nicely in the center. What are some troubleshooting options?I'm using these magnets:58605K37Ultra-High-Pull Neodymium Disc Magnet 1/2" Diameter, 1/4" Thick, 7.0 Pull lbs

#14 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:33 AM

:)I glued the magnets to the fan facing North North - it worked a whole lot better when they were arranged North South

#15 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:21 AM

Now I'm one of the cool kids:Posted Image

#16 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 17 April 2009 - 11:24 AM

I just found a source for free, busted hard drives and working case fans on freecycle. I think I'll try and cobble as much of this project together from free stuff as I can.

#17 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31571 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:32 PM

I wired mine up last night, and I plug it in and the fan isn't spinning. I think I might have the negative leads from the power source going through the swich/rheostat. Unfortunately there isn't any identifying marks on the leads to see which one is positive and which is negative. :) So I guess that means I am going to have to re-wire the darn thing. :cheers:

#18 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25741 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 18 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

I wired mine up last night, and I plug it in and the fan isn't spinning. I think I might have the negative leads from the power source going through the swich/rheostat. Unfortunately there isn't any identifying marks on the leads to see which one is positive and which is negative. :) So I guess that means I am going to have to re-wire the darn thing. :cheers:

Take a hunk of bare wire and short all three terminal of you rheostat.Take another hunk of wire and short out the terminals of your switch If it still does not work, swap the + and - terminals on the fan.If it still doesn't work, go over to the board of green and read my notes on rheostat wiring.zymot

#19 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:36 PM

I went with this setup:https://davidtrumbel.../StirPlate.html

Burnt out the rheostat from this build tonight. Used Zymot's wiring diagram. 10 bucks at Radio Shack and a couple hours later, the stir plate is back up and running MUCH better than before. The pot doesn't even approach warm and I have a much higher gradient to play with for stirring speeds. Thanks for the great documentation and your work in developing this Zymot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users