#1 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28169 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 09 December 2023 - 10:29 AM

Who doesn't like taco's?  Made these last night, wow, really good.  I've had this recipe in my que for a while, but haven't had the paste.  It's almost like this recipe was made for Chris :lol: , because you make a Prok tower and then shave it down like gyro meat when it's cooked.  The only modifications I did was buy a can of no sugar added pineapple slices, because I didn't want to buy pineapple itself, and then juice on top of it.  I also added a couple of the pineapple slices in the stack since the smallest pork shoulder I could find was 7.5lbs.  Achiote paste, I got off Amazon.  There is a video in that link, watch that to see how they prep for the cooking part.  

Ingredients

for 10 servings

• 5 lb boneless pork shoulder(2 kg)
  • 3 tablespoons achiote paste
  • 2 tablespoons guajillo chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon pepper
  • ¾ cup white vinegar(175 mL)
  • 1 cup pineapple juice(240 mL)
  • 1 pineapple, skinned and sliced into 1-inch (2 cm) rounds

FOR SERVING

• 10 small corn tortillas
  • 1 white onion, finely chopped
  • 1 cup fresh cilantro(40 g), finely chopped
  • 1 cup salsa(260 g)
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 2 limes, cut into wedges
Preparation
  1. Slice the pork shoulder into about 1-centimeter (¼ in) slices, then transfer to a large dish or bowl. In a medium bowl, combine the achiote paste, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, vinegar, and pineapple juice, mashing and stirring until smooth with no lumps. Pour the marinade over the pork slices, then toss to make sure they are coated on all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 3 days.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
  3. Place a slice or two of the pineapple on the baking sheet. Take a wooden skewer and push it directly in the middle of the pineapple. Remove the pork from the fridge and push the slices through the skewer, layering one after the other until there is a 1-inch (2 ½ cm) gap at the top. Push another pineapple slice on top.
  4. Bake for about 1½ hours, until the pork is slightly charred on the outside and deep red. Rest the meat for about 10 minutes, then carve off thin slices of pork and roasted pineapple.

#2 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28169 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 09 December 2023 - 10:42 AM

Oh, and I bought a bone in shoulder, which I think most come that way.  At least I've not seen otherwise.  Use a good knife and debone before slicing it into 3/4" slices.  

#3 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19064 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 09 December 2023 - 10:46 AM

I'd eat that.

#4 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25603 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 09 December 2023 - 07:44 PM

Al Pastor is my test of a good Mexican restaurant. If that do not have good Al Pastor, you are not a good restaurant.

#5 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111834 posts

Posted 09 December 2023 - 07:47 PM

For me it's cheese enchiladas. For something with basically 3 ingredients you would be surprised how often they fuck them up

#6 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19064 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 09 December 2023 - 07:50 PM

For me it's cheese enchiladas. For something with basically 3 ingredients you would be surprised how often they fuck them up

Same.

#7 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

Comptroller of King Richard V

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43068 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 10 December 2023 - 05:04 PM

Chile relleno is my Mexican restaurant litmus test, as is chicken fried steak when I go to a breakfast place/coffee shop

Edited by Brown Yogurt Felony, 10 December 2023 - 05:04 PM.

#8 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43068 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 10 December 2023 - 05:10 PM

by the way AL… This looks/sounds Mexellent

#9 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28169 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 10 December 2023 - 07:30 PM

I will tell you, that stacking that Prok tower in a 9x13 is smarter than a cookie sheet.

Ask me how I know. :D

#10 Iraq Lobstah

Iraq Lobstah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43068 posts
  • LocationCamarillo, CA

Posted 14 December 2023 - 09:35 PM

lol…. I’ll take Near kitchen disasters for $1000 Alex

I was thinking of you the other day.., I’m part of a Polish sausage community on FB, and I’ve  been spending time reading and researching making kielbasa. I was given a recipe for “Loaf” kielbasa, basically making kielbasa and then instead of using casings, you include all your ingredients into a loaf pan, then poach and smoke. It 

Edited by Brown Yogurt Felony, 14 December 2023 - 09:36 PM.

#11 deejaydan

deejaydan

Comptroller of Spooning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2318 posts
  • LocationFennville, MI

Posted 05 April 2024 - 07:25 PM

Making these this weekend.  Pork is marinating as we speak, the spit should show up Sunday.

The paste was a bugger, I broke out the immersion blender to get things smoothed out, but it should be good & tasty!

#12 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13046 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 06 April 2024 - 05:11 AM

Oh, and I bought a bone in shoulder, which I think most come that way. At least I've not seen otherwise. Use a good knife and debone before slicing it into 3/4" slices.

Costco sells them boneless. Only time I buy them there is for something like this. If it’s going in the smoker for bbq I want the bone in.

#13 deejaydan

deejaydan

Comptroller of Spooning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2318 posts
  • LocationFennville, MI

Posted 06 April 2024 - 02:56 PM

My skewer setup arrived today.  So, the pork is on the smoker as we speak, sitting about 130.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users