#21 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:55 AM

This from the Fermentis site:"Yeasts are living organisms and rehydration temperature is critical forgood yeast performance. Fermentis recommends that top fermenting/aleyeasts are rehydrated at a temperature between 25-29°C (77-84°F) andthat bottom fermenting/lager yeasts are rehydrated at a temperaturerange between 21-25°C (69-77°F)."That being said....I think I'd pitch another sachet, but, I use liquid yeast from starters so I'm no expert. :rolf: Beachedit: I'd check the gravity first though.

Edited by beach, 08 December 2009 - 05:56 AM.

#22 54BelAir

54BelAir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:42 AM

Update. I checked SG last night. No change. Still tasted like wort. I guess I did kill the yeast. Now when I pitch the new rehydrated yeast (going against Spoon's advice) should I being the temp down a close as possible to the temperature of the wort?

#23 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 08 December 2009 - 07:49 AM

Update. I checked SG last night. No change. Still tasted like wort. I guess I did kill the yeast. Now when I pitch the new rehydrated yeast (going against Spoon's advice) should I being the temp down a close as possible to the temperature of the wort?

There is no harm in making the wort of the yeast hydration and the wort to ferment being the same or close within a few degrees. Its not necessary but you can do that if you like. I think in 48 hours you will see new signs of fermentation. Good Luck and keep us posted, thanks for the update!

#24 54BelAir

54BelAir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:08 AM

Thank you everyone for your advice. I appreciate your willingness to help to help a beginner, not a complete beginner, but very rusty. I am going to repitch tonight, and I will report back when I see activity.

#25 Spoon

Spoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLower Alabama

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:42 AM

I think you will be ok, you should see signs of activity relativly quickly. I myself don't rehydrate and never had a problem but many people do rehydrate. The real answer is do what you feel works for you and all is well. There are many VERY experienced brewers lurking here so do not hesitate to ask questions.Keep us posted. :rolf:

#26 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64178 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:44 AM

I've heard Jamil say several times that if you rehydrate the yeast properly (and the packet isn't ancient) you'll get above 90% viability, if you just throw the yeast in the wort or rehydrate with wort, you'll get a significantly lower cell count. I think anywhere from 80-100 is probably OK. It's been many years since I used dry yeast, but I think I remember rehydrating around 90F. Check out Jamil's Pitching Rate Calculator to determine the proper amount of dry yeast to use for your batch.

#27 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54448 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:53 AM

54BelAir... good luck with the beer. I agree that with a newly pitched packet of yeast you should see active fermentation quickly... like 12 hours or less. As far as killing your yeast, I still say 100° wouldn't kill it but your thermo could have been off or maybe it read 120° and you just spaced out. Welcome back to brewing... it will get better, I guarantee.

#28 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:56 AM

I've heard Jamil say several times that if you rehydrate the yeast properly (and the packet isn't ancient) you'll get above 90% viability, if you just throw the yeast in the wort or rehydrate with wort, you'll get a significantly lower cell count. I think anywhere from 80-100 is probably OK. It's been many years since I used dry yeast, but I think I remember rehydrating around 90F. Check out Jamil's Pitching Rate Calculator to determine the proper amount of dry yeast to use for your batch.

Earlier this year I had brewed several batches with US-05. The first go around I rehydrated in water and pitched. Fermentation started in like 8 hours. The next time I just pitched into the wort and it took like 24 hours. I don't use Dry Yeast often but it seems that water would be the best bet to rehydrate then pitch into wort

#29 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:29 AM

I use dry yeast about 1/2 of the time. I fill 2 pint glasses with starsan, let sit for a few minutes, dump my starsan back in the bucket, Fill each glass with about 6 oz distilled water, and microwave them for 30 seconds. That gives me about 80 deg with my microwave. Then I pitch 1 or 2 packets into each glass, (I use 2 fermenters, and it depends on OG) stir the clumps out with a sanitized fork, and let sit for about 30 minutes. There is usually always some foam blooming on the slurry, and with s-04 it sometimes fills the glass. The whole process is quite simple and takes under an hour. Not knocking anyone who pitches direct pack to wort, however when it comes to yeast, I feel it is the most crucial part of a beers flavor and successful ferment, I avoid the shortcuts and aim for optimal conditions.

#30 54BelAir

54BelAir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:52 PM

Update. Got home tonight and the first signs of fermentation started to show. I am still a bit concerned about the yeast I have in. I read online about a Knottingham yeast recall. Could be my problem. I don't have the packet to check the lot number. I am rehydrating and about to pitch a new pack.Thanks yall for letting me take up forum space with my troubles.

#31 54BelAir

54BelAir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:17 AM

Plenty of active fermentation this morning. I am not sure if it's the old yeast finally kicking in, or the new yeast. It doesn't matter...we're on our way.

#32 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9179 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:38 AM

Woohoo!

#33 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:20 AM

Plenty of active fermentation this morning. I am not sure if it's the old yeast finally kicking in, or the new yeast. It doesn't matter...we're on our way.

Good news is always welcome here.Beach

#34 54BelAir

54BelAir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:49 AM

One in the fermenter, it's time to crank up another batch. Where to next? So many choices...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users