Photo

Today was an electronics maintenance/resurrection day..

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 03 September 2023 - 02:24 PM

Started off with my PC rig; for years, the noise from the fans was never really quiet, and replacing a few of the stock case fans with new quiet ones helped a little, but the noise was still irritating.  Only today did I finally think to take a look in the BIOS at the MB fan settings.  Lo and behold, the CPU fan setting was on "standard", but I decided to test out the "silent" setting.

Ho-lee-shit.

I can play games and actually hear sound effect/dialog, etc., without having to either wear headphones or crank the volume up to get past the case fan noise.  Same goes for music listening; way cool.  Been kicking myself for hours now for not dealing with this years ago. 

Second task knocked out was replacing the lamp/bulb assembly in our 2007 Samsung DLP tv.  The bulb started dying a few nights ago, to where the TV was nearly unwatchable.  Found a replacement for it on Amazon for $30 yesterday, delivered today, and with 10 minutes of work (taking my time), we have what is effectively a brand-new TV.  Saved us from dropping $2k+ on a new tv. 

Hopefully we'll get 16 more years out of this TV before we have to finally get a new one.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 September 2023 - 03:24 PM

Started off with my PC rig; for years, the noise from the fans was never really quiet, and replacing a few of the stock case fans with new quiet ones helped a little, but the noise was still irritating.  Only today did I finally think to take a look in the BIOS at the MB fan settings.  Lo and behold, the CPU fan setting was on "standard", but I decided to test out the "silent" setting.

Ho-lee-shit.

I can play games and actually hear sound effect/dialog, etc., without having to either wear headphones or crank the volume up to get past the case fan noise.  Same goes for music listening; way cool.  Been kicking myself for hours now for not dealing with this years ago. 

Second task knocked out was replacing the lamp/bulb assembly in our 2007 Samsung DLP tv.  The bulb started dying a few nights ago, to where the TV was nearly unwatchable.  Found a replacement for it on Amazon for $30 yesterday, delivered today, and with 10 minutes of work (taking my time), we have what is effectively a brand-new TV.  Saved us from dropping $2k+ on a new tv. 

Hopefully we'll get 16 more years out of this TV before we have to finally get a new one.

will it crank up if things get too hot in there?  that would be my only concern since heat + electronics = earlier death

#3 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 03 September 2023 - 03:36 PM

will it crank up if things get too hot in there?  that would be my only concern since heat + electronics = earlier death

So far, it's holding up fine with the games I've been throwing at it. 

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 September 2023 - 03:48 PM

So far, it's holding up fine with the games I've been throwing at it.

You have temp monitoring?

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 03 September 2023 - 06:13 PM

You have temp monitoring?

Yes, CPU is holding steady at 60°C under load while running The Outer Worlds.  So far so good.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 03 September 2023 - 06:31 PM

Yes, CPU is holding steady at 60°C under load while running The Outer Worlds. So far so good.

Noice!

#7 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 08 September 2023 - 09:24 AM

Another PC rig upgrade complete: replaced the existing chip (i7-5930K) with the newest one that my motherboard supports, an i7-6850K.  The actual chip replacement was surprisingly easy; the downer was needing to do an unexpected BIOS update, which I found out after the new chip was installed. :cussing: :facepalm:

Reinstalled the old chip, got the BIOS updated, reinstalled the new chip, and a few reboots later, things were finally back in bidness. :cheers:

Should get me a couple of more years before Win10 sunsets in late 2025 and let me play some newer releases (like Starfield) in the meantime.  Some titles (Elden Ring, for one) are a no-go, since my replacement chip is a few generations out of date to run it.  NBD; plenty of other stuff to play.

#8 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111832 posts

Posted 08 September 2023 - 09:32 AM

I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU. I have an AMD Ryzen 7 3800x in there now, I'm pretty sure my motherboard will support a Ryzen 9 5950X but it seems like I haven't really been pushing my CPU all that hard lately so I'm not sure if it would be wasted on me. I already have the RTX3080 and 64Gb of RAM in there and it does everything I ask it to

#9 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 08 September 2023 - 10:11 AM

I'm thinking about upgrading my CPU. I have an AMD Ryzen 7 3800x in there now, I'm pretty sure my motherboard will support a Ryzen 9 5950X but it seems like I haven't really been pushing my CPU all that hard lately so I'm not sure if it would be wasted on me. I already have the RTX3080 and 64Gb of RAM in there and it does everything I ask it to

Since I dealt with this today, i'll say it here: save yourself some hassle and check if your motherboard needs a BIOS update before you upgrade the chip. 

#10 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47962 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 08 September 2023 - 10:13 AM

I'm currently looking at replacement main boards for my laptop, since the GPU is soldered on and is just a 2070.

#11 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26171 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 08 September 2023 - 11:23 AM

The SSD requirement for Starfield has me looking at a new machine

#12 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47962 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 08 September 2023 - 11:47 AM

The SSD requirement for Starfield has me looking at a new machine

I meet the minimum, but the storage requirement would take up a quarter of the 512 SDD I had.  My GPU is above the minimum, but below the recommended, so I'm holding out for now.  I'm not going to try a new MB, since I don't want to learn everything I'd need to ensure the other R3 components on my laptop will work with the R4 MB.  At $600ish for the part, the risk is too high.

I'm pretty forgiving with graphics, but both Skyrim and Fallout IV were previously triggers for me upgrading whole systems. We'll see.

#13 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 September 2023 - 05:10 AM

I think Nvidia and AMD should fund the development of these games ;)

https://arstechnica....-run-starfield/

Ars system mini-guide: Summer GPU refresh edition, aka “can it run Starfield”? New GPUs and new games prompt minor refreshes to our bang-for-buck PC builds.

#14 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10650 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 31 October 2023 - 01:55 PM

Bumping this one for another minor resurrection update involving my PC rig. 

A few days ago, my processor AIO/liquid cooler started acting up, where the fan started revving up for no reason; it had been putting out some rather warm exhaust recently, even when idle.  Some sleuthing on the intertubez led me to conclude that the cooler was starting to fail; not surprising after nearly 8 years of daily use. 

Flashback: a few years ago, before Covid hit, the place that built my rig sent me a (free) replacement AIO kit, a step up from the one I had, under warranty, and it had been sitting in the basement ever since, awaiting the call to arms.  So earlier today, out with the old and in with the new.  Didn't take much time to swap out coolers and get back into bidness, and what a difference. 

CPU is running much cooler than before, even under load (running Cyberpunk w/ ray tracing on), and is dead quiet.  Afterburner also shows my 3060ti is running quite a bit cooler, too, since the case isn't holding so much warm air.  Nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users