11 replies to this topic

#1 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 12 July 2023 - 05:01 AM

I have not bought it in a while, have not really seen it much either, but Anchor Steam was one of those beers I first reached for when I stared drinking "better" beer.

Sad to see them go.  The Christmas Ale and Porter were great beers too.

https://www.nbcbayar...ations/3270727/

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 July 2023 - 05:16 AM

Bummer

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 12 July 2023 - 08:06 AM

I have not bought it in a while, have not really seen it much either, but Anchor Steam was one of those beers I first reached for when I stared drinking "better" beer.

Sad to see them go.  The Christmas Ale and Porter were great beers too.

https://www.nbcbayar...ations/3270727/

I did like Anchor Steam and I probably ordered it in the last year.  I feel like the best craft breweries now are either making trendy styles like "juicy IPAs" or innovative sour beers or else they have a niche that they fill well .. like "all German styles", etc.  They have their following and it's enough.  There is a brewery here in Chicago called Dovetail and their lineup of German lagers is very nice.  Anchor had their Steam beer, Christmas beer, a porter I seem to remember and what else?  Did they just not keep up with things?  I could see them choosing to NOT waver with every new style but if you're going to do that then your core styles have to bring in revenue.  Many craft breweries make the vast majority of their revenue on lighter styles because those beers are still very popular.  So if the Anchor lineup started to appear "stale" to people, I wonder if that was their issue.  Fritz Maytag was a visionary for sure.  

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18069 posts

Posted 12 July 2023 - 08:41 AM

I went and looked and the lineup looks good to me .. maybe it was too little too late .. Maybe the beer just was not good.  Seems like a well-rounded portfolio to me.

https://www.anchorbr...g.com/our-beer/

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 12 July 2023 - 08:49 AM

I went and looked and the lineup looks good to me .. maybe it was too little too late .. Maybe the beer just was not good.  Seems like a well-rounded portfolio to me.

https://www.anchorbr...g.com/our-beer/

Mmm, I see what you mean.  That lineup looks good and there looked to be THREE lighter styles there for "the masses".  I think that sometimes a brand just loses its luster with consumers and in this case it may be something where people wish they had it back.  I have to say that I never saw most of those styles here in my area.  Anchor Steam, the Porter and maybe the Christmas but that's it.  Also, I haven't really looked for Anchor products lately.  Fritz Maytag is still around and 85 years old.  It was a good ride.

#6 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22170 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 12 July 2023 - 10:42 AM

Kind of sad to see them go. I bought a magnum of the Christmas Beer a few years back but it was probably my only Anchor purchase since visiting the brewery back in 2010.

#7 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19061 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 12 July 2023 - 11:41 AM

That sucks. Really liked some of their beers. Steam Beer is ok but really liked their porter and Christmas ale especially.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54029 posts

Posted 12 July 2023 - 11:48 AM

That sucks. Really liked some of their beers. Steam Beer is ok but really liked their porter and Christmas ale especially.

I really liked the Steam Beer and the part that gets me is that this is a uniquely-American style that Anchor did really well.  The good news is that with 2-row, C60, Northern Brewer and Wyeast 2112 it can be made at home.  ;)

#9 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5006 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 12 July 2023 - 01:50 PM

I bought the Kindle version of "The Anchor Brewing Story" (about $12... I had a few credits). Its appendix includes homebrew recipes for Anchor Steam, California Lager, Anchor Porter, and Liberty Ale

#10 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25598 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 12 July 2023 - 06:02 PM

Being from San Francisco Bay Area, Anchor Steam beer was one of the first beers to show me the full potential of good beer. SNPA is the other beer.

I toured the brewery when CJ in J (from the green board) was in town. I thought it was a great beer. Always enjoyed it. (same with Flying Dog Amber)

I read where Sapporo bought it, but did not know what to do with it. It went into a death spiral. Maybe some Silicon Valley angel will save the day.

I have had good success with White Labs California Common yeast.

Does this mean the copyright for "Steam Beer" not be enforced.

#11 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5006 posts

Posted 12 July 2023 - 06:41 PM

The trademark for "Steam Beer" should expire 3 years after they stop using it. I assume Sapporo Brewing owns the trademark now... kinda doubt they will be using it...

eta: Trademarks expire 10 years after renewal. After 3 years of non-use it's considered "abandoned". It could then in theory be re-registered by somebody else. 

Edited by jimdkc, 12 July 2023 - 06:52 PM.

#12 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5006 posts

Posted 14 July 2023 - 02:05 PM

Anchor Brewing article and clone recipes moved outside BYO's paywall (essentially the same recipes I mentioned earlier, plus a couple others.):

https://byo.com/arti...WwlZuRSDli8dWtA

Edited by jimdkc, 14 July 2023 - 02:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users