#1 matt6150

matt6150

Moderately Accelerated Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts
  • LocationMooresville, NC

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:24 AM

I have a outside bar next to my pool with a kegerator that I use a analog johnson controller on. When it started getting cold out last winter I flipped the breaker to shut it down. This weekend I stuffed some cornies in there I turned the breaker back on. The next morning, frozen kegs! Checked out all the connections, the temp setting and yes the temp sensor was inside the freezer, all good. So just trying to figure out what caused this, possibly the freezing temps of being outside. What kind should I get to avoid this?

#2 Cheatin Bastard

Cheatin Bastard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationThe Beach Los Angeles

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:53 AM

I have had very bad luck with digital Johnsons.I finally threw in the towel and bought a Ranco and no troubles yet after 1 year.C.B

#3 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

I would recommend to anyone looking for a temperature controller for their fridge to check into an industrial quality digital temperature controller, used on eBay. Something like a Watlow model 965 will give you more adjustability/programability, more precise control, and vastly more reliability. You'll also get more versatility in choosing a thermocouple or RTD temperature sensor. And you can get a used one for less than what you'll pay for a one of these new lightweight Rancos or Johnsons.

#4 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:41 PM

Does anyone know if these controllers can handle freezing temps during the winter being inop?

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

Does anyone know if these controllers can handle freezing temps during the winter being inop?

That's what I'm wondering. I have 3 analogs that have worked great for over 4 years. But of course they're inside..........

#6 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48003 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:13 PM

Anybody know what's inside those bulb probes? I could see where they might freeze and damage something.

#7 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:42 PM

Anybody know what's inside those bulb probes? I could see where they might freeze and damage something.

Well I thought of this, but most controllers like mine are rated down to 30 degrees so the probe would be frozen all the time.

#8 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:51 PM

IIRC the thermometric liquid housed in the bulb and capillary is usually mercury, alcohol, or some other chemical rated at -35F or below.

#9 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

I guess this was outside all winter?? Too bad these can't be taken apart, bet the relay switch contacts are corroded. There's just not that much to them.

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64122 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:27 PM

I have an analog Johnson temp controller on my chest freezer in the basement (well, before the chest freezer died anyway). This Johnson temp controller spent two winters outside. Not just outside, but outside completely unprotected from the elements. I left it at my buddies house on New Year's one year then totally forgot about it (it was in a cardboard box with some various fittings and whatnot). The box, which had no lid, ended up outside under his deck. I found it by accident when I was at his house a year and a half later. So this thing has been rained and snowed on for almost two years and it still works...and this wasn't some pansy-ass North Carolina winter, we're talking northern New England buried under snow winter. So, yeah, I wouldn't say that leaving it outside in the cold was the problem.

Edited by JKoravos, 14 April 2009 - 04:30 PM.

#11 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

I have an analog Johnson temp controller on my chest freezer in the basement (well, before the chest freezer died anyway). This Johnson temp controller spent two winters outside. Not just outside, but outside completely unprotected from the elements. I left it at my buddies house on New Year's one year then totally forgot about it (it was in a cardboard box with some various fittings and whatnot). The box, which had no lid, ended up outside under his deck. I found it by accident when I was at his house a year and a half later. So this thing has been rained and snowed on for almost two years and it still works. So, yeah, I wouldn't say that leaving it outside in the cold was the problem...and this wasn't some pansy-ass North Carolina winter, we're talking northern New England buried under snow winter.

Then I vote for wacking the sucker with a hammer a few times - that oughta do it

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64122 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:32 PM

Then I vote for wacking the sucker with a hammer a few times - that oughta do it

Hold on, let me find my hammer...

#13 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:36 PM

Hold on, let me find my hammer...

Let's start with the little one first, just in case - might knock something loose. My 3# is for when I'm really pissed, good thing to do before going and explaining it to the wife :rolf: Great stress reliever.

#14 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:53 PM

Dude, it totally sucks when I lose control of my Johnson...BrewBasser

#15 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64122 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

Damn...need a new hammer. :rolf:

#16 matt6150

matt6150

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10549 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

Yep, the hammer trick is all it took. I took the cover off and whacked the relay a few times and there you go, back in buisness!

#17 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:34 PM

Yep, the hammer trick is all it took. I took the cover off and whacked the relay a few times and there you go, back in buisness!

When no other tool will fix it, it's time to get out the BFH. Works well when your machine just needs an attitude adjustment. :rolf:

#18 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:40 PM

Cool, keep an eye on it though. May work forever, and may fail again soon. There are a few of those analog Johnsons running the HVAC in the building I work in - must be 30+ years old and going strong.Gotta love the hammer, ruined stuff that wouldn't ever work again but revived a few that I thought were toast. Don't work well on glass though.

#19 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48003 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:35 PM

Ah, the Navy way! :rolf:

#20 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:49 PM

For those of you that use Johnson analog units, how closely does the set temp on the unit match the actual temp in your fridge/freezer, allowing for time to stabilize? I am wondering because it seems I have to set mine quite a bit lower than the actual temp I want to achieve. I am waiting for a scientific thermometer accurate within 1/2 degree that is being shipped to me to calibrate, so it could be that the Johnson controller is more accurate than the brewing thermometers I have in the fridge sitting in a glass of water. Anyways, any feedback from others would be great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users