#1 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19061 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 07 April 2023 - 10:43 AM

Since switching to indoors/electric brewing, things are really streamlined and it is much easier to find time to brew. Usually I am at about 3.5 hours (spend just a few minutes the night before filling the rig with water and setting the timer). If I measure and mill grains the night before it saves an additional 20 minutes, but that's really just shifting part of the day to another. But still, I can get it to 3 hours if needed, so not a problem to be done by 9 AM and I've done this before.

I do 45 minutes mashes and boils.

Also with the electric system, and having the mini kitchen space, I can do other things while brewing. Mainly while the mash pipe is draining or during the boil, I can go take a shower or whatever. I won't usually leave the system during the mash due to the recirculation pump, and concern of a fitting loosening and spraying 5 gallons of beer all over the basement, but have left before. I could use one of those water sensors to step away, I suppose.

Overall, brew day entails only about 1 hour of actual work.

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 April 2023 - 11:34 AM

At least 5 hours, maybe more.

#3 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22167 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 07 April 2023 - 01:48 PM

Probably 4-ish. It would be shorter but I tend to mash really long. I usually plan a bike ride around it.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 07 April 2023 - 03:46 PM

Probably 4-ish. It would be shorter but I tend to mash really long. I usually plan a bike ride around it.

This is part of it for me. The other part is it takes a while for me to heat 10+ gallons.

#5 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19061 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 07 April 2023 - 04:54 PM

I was 5-6 hours when I did 10 gallon batches, turkey fryer burner outside, etc. Notwithstanding that I don't need or want 10 gallon batches anymore, this is fast and I brew better and can do more styles with smaller more frequent batches. Also with kids and a busy schedule, 3.5 vs 6 hours is a big difference.

#6 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 08 April 2023 - 11:11 AM

3.75 hours for most beers, including cleanup.

#7 gnef

gnef

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2533 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 08 April 2023 - 02:24 PM

I am in the 3.5 hour range too on my electric rig, sometimes more, sometimes less, especially depending on the beer. If I am doing a relatively small beer, I'll do a 30 minute mash, a 30 minute boil, and I'll be closer to 3 hours total. Cleanup does take quite a bit longer now, but it is worth it for me. My dual stage counterflow chiller that I made can chill a 5 gallon batch down to 58F in about 6-7 minutes or so, which has also helped quite a bit.

Now, when I'm doing a big beer, like my barleywine, I'll still be up there in time, because I typically boil down from 9ish gallons to 4.5-5 gallons, and that just takes time, even with my 5500 watt element at 100%.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users