3 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54003 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 10:56 AM

I have tried this numerous times and considered them somewhere between MEH and FAIL.  Dry, crumbly, more bread-like than tortilla-like.  I thought I needed butter or lard.  I made some the other night for some skirt steak tacos and they were okay but I was disappointed.  This morning I found this video...

Curious, I just made some this way.  Mmm, good.  Just three ingredients... masa harina, salt, water.  That's it.  I wasn't kneading long enough and his cooking technique (45/90/45) seems to be very good.  These came out with that slight dense/chewy consistency and they did not fall apart.  I ate one just by itself as I was making the other ones.  Some of them slightly puffed up like his in the video and some did not.  Not sure what the secret to the puffing is and I assume I have to keep trying it before I get it right.  They're fun to make and I love making tacos so I'm going to try to perfect this.  Anyone else got a secret for this?

#2 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13042 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 22 December 2022 - 11:11 AM

My .02 is that like biscuits you have to make them often enough to be really consistent. I’ve made some tortillas that were as good as any I’ve had but most the time they’re just meh.

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54003 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 12:25 PM

My .02 is that like biscuits you have to make them often enough to be really consistent. I’ve made some tortillas that were as good as any I’ve had but most the time they’re just meh.

The ones I just made today were far, far, FAR, far better than the ones I made previously so it tells me that it's more about technique and not necessarily ingredients.  The guy in the vid says it took him FIFTY tries to get it right.  I did it once and it was a great improvement over what I was doing but there is more to know, clearly.  I like seeing something like this after scratching my head over and over.  I may have been just short on moisture but I'm really not sure.  I'll try again sometime and see.  Cheers VF.

#4 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54003 posts

Posted 22 December 2022 - 01:43 PM

Here's another good video.  In this one she leaves the dough to sit in plastic for an hour.  The first guy did not say to do that.  They also both mention tapping the center of the tortilla when it's on the heat to get it to puff.  I missed that the first time.  Her cooking technique is different too and TBH, her tortillas looked better.  The more info the better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users