#1 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:21 PM

I have a buddy who is wanting to hop his Wheat beer with Cascades (7.4% AAU). Anyone done this? Would you recommend it? If you have done this, what were the results?I've recommended a lower AA hop like a Willamette or Saaz to him...

#2 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:29 PM

I have a buddy who is wanting to hop his Wheat beer with Cascades (7.4% AAU). Anyone done this? Would you recommend it? If you have done this, what were the results?I've recommended a lower AA hop like a Willamette or Saaz to him...

is it a German or an American Wheat...if its an American DO IT UP!

#3 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:33 PM

He's planning on using WYeast German Wheat strain....no good?

#4 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25635 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:35 PM

IMHO.....Is he doing a classic German hefe with the banana and clove yeast? I suggest that he error on the side of caution and go easy on the cascades. Let the wheat and the yeast shine through. Cascades to counter the sweetness, almost to the point of the hops don't matter much.If it is an American style wheat, and if he likes the combination and it sounds good to him, go for it.zymot

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:53 PM

He's planning on using WYeast German Wheat strain....no good?

I don't think that would turn out well. A little bit of noble hops for bittering should be about it.

#6 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for the help fellas, he's planning on using WYeast 3333 which is there German Wheat. I've suggested using a more nuetral yeast like 1010 or 1056 because too, he wants to spice it with Orange Zest, Clove, and Cinnamon. Wouldn't you want those spices to shine through as opposed to being overpowered by the hops or yeast?

#7 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8263 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:11 PM

Yeah it sounds a little busy for a hop forward beer. I'd recommend a single hop addition if he plans all of those spices, something neutral or noble. That yeast is pretty spicy, so I would also recommend a low temp for primary fermentation.

#8 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:13 PM

I have a buddy who is wanting to hop his Wheat beer with Cascades (7.4% AAU). Anyone done this? Would you recommend it? If you have done this, what were the results?

I did this (Bavarian strain) and the results were awesome. Am scheduled to brew it again on request soon here.

#9 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29317 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:37 PM

so he wants to american hop itgerman yeast itbeglain and bastardize spices it????with the american hops I would go with a 1056 or similar and let the hops shine thru 1.050-.060 ibu 30-40 with lost of aroma to play with the wheatwith the german yeast I am going traditional 1.040-1.050 with noble hops in the 20ibu range no hop aromaI am probably not going to use zest, clove, and cin in wheat beer too many flavors to blend. (and german yeast) I would personally make a wit if he wants spices. If he can pull this off in the 1st brewing I would be impressed but this sounds like a 3 -4 batch experiment to dial it in.

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64136 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:17 PM

Is he just trying a screw around, or does he actually have a goal for this beer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users