#1 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35354 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:42 AM

I was thinking of buying one of those inexpensive chest freezers I see at Lowes for use as a fermentation chamber (With a temp controller).My only question is...how the hell do you get a carboy in an out of one of these things? I dont feel comfortable lifting a full carboy by anything other than the bottom.

#2 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:52 AM

They make carboy carriers. I'd remove it after getting the carboy in the freezer, lest it rot from the condensation.HEY!! Wait a minute, you mean with all your ninja skills you can't schlep a carboy?Oh, and just step up to a 10 cu ft. That way you can get more than one cornie in there if you choose to lager that way.

#3 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47959 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:22 AM

#1, use Better Bottles or buckets. Glass is fricking dangerous!#2 Put them in empty and fill them in place. This takes some planning when you set up the brewery and may be ultimately impossible for some people.

#4 stadelman

stadelman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:58 AM

I use a "Brew Hauler" carboy carrier. I used to just use the carboy handle, but I hear that's a no no. The Brew Hauler makes it pretty easy to carry a full carboy around... unless you're a lady.

#5 cbbrown40

cbbrown40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHelendale, Ca

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:01 PM

I use a Sanke in mine. With twelve gallons of brew in it me and the wife can lift it in and out or as George sais fill it in place. +1 on not using glass

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:07 PM

I have to say I pretty much use mostly glass and only have one plastic carboy too. I do my aging and fermentation in chest freezers. The carboy handles work for me but filling in place works too good, and who doesn't want a good workout lifting out the beer and all. Gotta make up for all the consumption.

#7 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:39 PM

You might consider getting a fridge. It's much easier access. You can get a used one on Craigslist real cheap if you keep an eye out.

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:50 PM

#1, use Better Bottles or buckets. Glass is fricking dangerous!#2 Put them in empty and fill them in place. This takes some planning when you set up the brewery and may be ultimately impossible for some people.

#1 yes , it is, but I simply cannot afford the horrendous expense of Better Bottles. Buckets are good as primaries and short term secondaries, but I don't trust them to age Wine or Mead.And yes in 7 years I have broken 2 carboys bot dropped from less than 2 inches, partially filled with cleaner, scary stuff. I don't have any kids around thankfully.#2 This is awesome advice if you can set it up to work for you.Honestly if I had the $$ I'd look into stanless instead of either.

Edited by mikeinspokane, 14 April 2009 - 05:50 PM.

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:13 PM

I use a "Brew Hauler" carboy carrier. I used to just use the carboy handle, but I hear that's a no no. The Brew Hauler makes it pretty easy to carry a full carboy around... unless you're a lady.

Whatever you do DON'T make your own Brew Hauler!!!Some people will know what I mean.

#10 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:13 PM

Do you have a place that sells used milk crates? Mac's hardware around here carries them. As a last ditch, maybe ask the milkman some a couple. But then we get into that old debate........JKoravos, I don't know what you mean. Mine DIY works fine. Tons of stitching. I also went with 2" webbing. I cost about the same as the commercial version!

Edited by Cliff Claven, 14 April 2009 - 06:21 PM.

#11 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47959 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

#1 yes , it is, but I simply cannot afford the horrendous expense of Better Bottles. Buckets are good as primaries and short term secondaries, but I don't trust them to age Wine or Mead....

All the ports and the fittings and such are what make them expensive. The unported ones with a #10 stopper cost about the same as a carboy. Of course, you already have the carboys, so BB's would be a replacement cost. But they should only run you about $20 each.

#12 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:30 PM

JKoravos, I don't know what you mean. Mine DIY works fine. Tons of stitching. I also went with 2" webbing. I cost about the same as the commercial version!

Old joke from the board that shall not be named.Someone posted about making their own once and someone from the company threatened legal action, or something like that.

#13 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:22 PM

All the ports and the fittings and such are what make them expensive. The unported ones with a #10 stopper cost about the same as a carboy. Of course, you already have the carboys, so BB's would be a replacement cost. But they should only run you about $20 each.

Oh , shit, then I'll STFU and MMOB :rolf:I swear the last time I looked, and it was years ago they wer ugly spendy, since i recently busted a 5er I will replace it with a BB, many thanks.EDIT to change MYOB to MMOB, whoops

Edited by mikeinspokane, 14 April 2009 - 07:26 PM.

#14 Cliff Claven

Cliff Claven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationSouth Dakota

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:33 PM

Old joke from the board that shall not be named.Someone posted about making their own once and someone from the company threatened legal action, or something like that.

Missed that one. Maybe b4 my time?

#15 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:41 AM

milk crate + https://www.forearmf...m_forklift.html

#16 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28449 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:13 PM

I just tip the carboy a tad till I can get a hand under it to pick it up. That said we're going to be doing the kid thing down the road here and I plan to phase out most of my glass. I've got a lot of kegs for long term storage and will likely use buckets for primary and maybe get some BB's too.

#17 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:02 AM

Ditto on the milk crates.

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64061 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:43 AM

Just get a gantry crane. No biggie.5 gallon model:Posted Image10 gallon model:Posted Image

#19 REM

REM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNacogdoches, Texas!

Posted 18 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

Just get a gantry crane. No biggie.5 gallon model:

:)I am planning on building a hoist into the brew shed when I do get going on it. Even a lowly chain pull hoist is better than trying to muscle heavy stuff around in bad posture, as in a chest freezer. It might not be workable for everyone, but it is worth kicking around.

#20 dondewey

dondewey

No Life

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11657 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 18 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

I've been lifting my buckets in and out and it's not too bad, but I am about to use a 15 gal sankey for a 10 gal batch so I rigged up a block and tackle with some rope and pulleys. A chain hoist probably would be easier, but this seems ok.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users