11 replies to this topic

#1 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 08:14 AM

I'm still working out the kinks on the electric rig.   Instead of bouncing around different types of beer, I'm thinking that after my next brew, my next three brews will be a SMASH where the only changing recipe component is the hops.   I'm a big fan of bready flavor, so I'm thinking about using the floor malted Maris Otter- Crisp Malt. 

Things to keep in mind, my SG is usually off by .003-.007.   I really want to keep the IBUs down, that's likely my biggest question mark.

I'm thinking something to the effect of:

10-11lbs MO - mash around 153°

.5 to 1 oz bittering (insert hop here) at 60 min

.5 oz flavoring at 15 min

.25-.5 oz aroma at 5 min

oh, and yeast nutrients at 10 min and whirlfloc at 5 min

Thoughts?

#2 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 November 2022 - 08:18 AM

is part of the goal here to really experience the hops?  if yes I would consider something a little less intense than MO.  maybe GP or even pilsen if you want to really experience the hoppyness.

also, just my opinion but MORE FLAVOR/AROMA HOPS!!!  and move those late boil hops to 5 mins or less.  consider a whirlpool addition too.

Edited by postSingularityHumanoid, 17 November 2022 - 08:18 AM.

#3 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 08:33 AM

I prefer more malt type flavor over hop flavor.  Especially if i'm going to be drinking 5 gallons of it.   With this recipe, i expect the hop flavor changes to be more subtle.  I can't say i'm looking to focus on the hops.   This is my way of trying to fine tune my process & measurements than to learn more hop flavors.   Not sure that makes sense how I typed it.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 November 2022 - 09:31 AM

Makes sense. I just heard you changing hops which made me think you were also looking to explore those flavors.

Given what you are describing this will work just fine although I'm not sure why a smash beer is going to help you dial your prices in more than this same beer with a little crystal tossed in the mix.

I'm just thinking of I was going to drink 3 batches of a similar beer I might want to shoot for something that has a little more going on flavor wise.

Edited by postSingularityHumanoid, 17 November 2022 - 09:33 AM.

#5 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 09:55 AM

my water calculations are all over the place, even though i'm using a bag and squeezing it out.   I'm always about a gallon off, both ways.   

#6 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 10:39 AM

For the bittering I would just keep the same IBU for each batch.  The hops late should stay the same amount.  So say shoot for 30 IBU at boil and 1oz @10 and 1 oz@5.  Yes, I increased your amounts because they were too low :)

#7 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 12:33 PM

so at 60 min 1oz?

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 12:48 PM

so at 60 min 1oz?

If that is what it takes to get to 30 IBU ( or whatever you choose).  I am just saying 1oz of Galaxy will give a lot more IBU that 1 oz of Hallertau for example.  But if you say you are going to go for 30 IBU it will all work out.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 November 2022 - 01:50 PM

If that is what it takes to get to 30 IBU ( or whatever you choose).  I am just saying 1oz of Galaxy will give a lot more IBU that 1 oz of Hallertau for example.  But if you say you are going to go for 30 IBU it will all work out.

yeup!

my water calculations are all over the place, even though i'm using a bag and squeezing it out.   I'm always about a gallon off, both ways.   

but seriously, why smash?  usually people do smash beers to get a feel for different malts and hops on their own but if that isn't your goal why limit the constant part of your recipe (the grain bill) to just a single base grain?

Edited by postSingularityHumanoid, 17 November 2022 - 01:50 PM.

#10 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 November 2022 - 02:03 PM

I'm still working out the kinks on the electric rig.   Instead of bouncing around different types of beer, I'm thinking that after my next brew, my next three brews will be a SMASH where the only changing recipe component is the hops.   I'm a big fan of bready flavor, so I'm thinking about using the floor malted Maris Otter- Crisp Malt. 

Things to keep in mind, my SG is usually off by .003-.007.   I really want to keep the IBUs down, that's likely my biggest question mark.

I'm thinking something to the effect of:

10-11lbs MO - mash around 153°

.5 to 1 oz bittering (insert hop here) at 60 min

.5 oz flavoring at 15 min

.25-.5 oz aroma at 5 min

oh, and yeast nutrients at 10 min and whirlfloc at 5 min

Thoughts?

how can you decide on amount without AA?

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 November 2022 - 03:46 PM

how can you decide on amount without AA?

he's going to hunt for the perfect hop with exactly the AA he needs :D

but I think Drez covered this one and Hines is good.

#12 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22156 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 17 November 2022 - 06:32 PM

my water calculations are all over the place, even though i'm using a bag and squeezing it out. I'm always about a gallon off, both ways.

I use this BIAB calculator for correct amount of water and temperature. It works great.

https://biabcalculator.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users