Photo
- - - - -

What to brew with Fuggles and Citra hops?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 VirginiaBeach

VirginiaBeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:25 PM

Hello,My girlfriend got me some hops as a gift when she went to Colorado. 2 oz Fuggles pellets and 2 oz Citra whole leafs. I'm gonna try and brew up some sort of pale ale this weekend using them. I was thinking using:.5 lb Crystal (steeped)6lbs Pilsen LME1oz Fuggles (60min)1oz Fuggles (30min)1 oz Citra (10min)1oz Citra (5min)Some sort of dry yeast (never used before, but I feel like experimenting) maybe Fermentis US-05 or S-04Any suggestions or improvements/comments? Thanks.

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:32 PM

I like your idea I think it works well. Your grains/LME looks good. I am not a big fan of much crystal so your recipe is good with that. I think you can get away and brew a Pale Ale with the hop combination you show and I would definitely think using the Citra would be best near the end for flavor and aroma. The only problem I have is Fuggles is a flavor/aroma hop as well. I did just fine a recipe on brew365.com that has a pale with fuggle to bitter and flavor/aroma so hey I say give it a go. If you wanted though if you have a bittering hop like Magnum use that at 60 and brew two beers one with Fuggles and one with Citra. Anyways I think it looks good and US-05 would be good, nice clean flavored yeast. Good Luck and Cheers.

#3 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:32 PM

I have never used the citra hops yet,nor seen them. Like NC brewer said fuggles is an aroma/flavor hop but if that is what you have on hand any hop can be used. Nice clean magnum ( i like NB too) would be great. Have you thought of a FWH for an ounce of Citra(similar to a 20 min addition they say) ? still bitter with an ounce of fuggles/and the 5 min.addition of Citra.Then save one ounce of fuggles. And that girlfriend of yours might be a keeper.IMHO.

#4 *_Guest_MW2_*

*_Guest_MW2_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:43 PM

Be careful with the Citra. I used 1oz. at 20 and a large flameout and got a huge grapefruit flavor, almost one dimensional. My beer is going to sit for awhile for it to mellow a bit.

#5 VirginiaBeach

VirginiaBeach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:27 PM

I don't know anything about FWH, can an extract brewer do that? Would that involve putting the bittering hops in while steeping the specialty grains?If the Citra hops give a lot of grapefruit flavor I might save them for a bolder stronger beer, one that could balance that flavor/aroma.I might do:1 oz Challenger (60min) LHBS doesn't carry Magnum1 oz Fuggles (15min)1 oz Fuggles (5 min)I'm leaning towards something English-like, so maybe S-04 over US-05?Also, would throwing in a 1 lb of Wheat LME totally throw this off or add something interesting to it, like I said before I'm in the mood to experiment with this one.Thanks for any insight.

#6 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:17 PM

I would brew something like you have (with Challenger and Fuggles), but brew it twice. That way you'll be able to learn what Fuggles and Citra both bring to the table. Don't only rely on other people's experiences -- create your own!

#7 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:05 PM

I made a batch of Gumballhead using the Citra in place of Amarillo it came out very nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users